1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Question - Data File Format?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by clairtoon, Mar 15, 2007.

1. clairtoon

clairtoon Member

Hi there,

Im new to all this and a friend of mine says he can get various TV series on data file format which he says is basically as many episodes of a programme on one or two discs for me to watch on my laptop or burn to dvds to watch.

My question is, is this illegal and also i have a DIVX dvd player would they work directly on that?

Many thanks

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

An odd pair of queries - "is it illegal and will they work in my dvd player?"

1. Is it illegal? What you mean like murder or robbery? Depends where you live. Some countries have made downloading and distributing copyright material a crime. In others it is a civil offence (The copyright owner can sue you if they can find you and prove it). In others it's legal. Anyway, I have been doing it for years and I am not in jail (yet). I don't know if this is the right place to ask such a question.

2. If the programs are in DivX avi format then you should be able to just put the disk in the DivX DVD player and watch them without any further processing or burning. If they are in another format, a few players do support wmv I think.

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Chances are that they are scene releases which means an Xvid avi (also I guess AVC mkv now for 720p stuff).

Still most DivX players will handle Xvid avi's fine.

4. etranze

etranze Guest

ive done the above mentioned formats time and time again, however i too am having difficulty with formatting mkv dual audio to fit on a dvd as well, things like nero vision have trouble identifiying with this file format.