1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question - Dye manufacturers

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by vfrvulcan, Mar 10, 2004.

1. vfrvulcan

vfrvulcan Guest

I thought that Ricoh made their own dye as did Ritek, so hopefully the assembled throng will be able to tell me if the following statement is true...

'The Ricoh dye is a Ritek dye, it is manufactured at the Ritek factory. ie Ricoh (as TDK, Maxell etc) is a brand name, Ritek (as Princo etc) is the manufacturer.'

TVMIA

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Ritek created the dye. The dye is applied to the Ricoh disc by Ricoh. Dye application is critical, and thats whay some manufacturers like Datawrite can say that have Ritek G04 Grade A dye, when in fact it is not as good as the Ritek Clone Disc/Traxdata/RiDATA

3. vfrvulcan

vfrvulcan Guest

Thanks. Trying to put your reply into context, I'm applying it to an order I received yesterday.

I ordered Arita Ritek +R 4x(8x) Purle top/purple dye G04s, what I received was Silver-top Ricoh (according to DVDInfoPro). The supplier repled with:

'Though both discs are similar Ritek discs the Silver Top Ritek you have been sent in error is considered a higher grade disc than the Arita, and is more expensive (£7 per 100 approx). However, if you prefer to return the incorrect items please do so.'

So, can a disc be called Ritek if it contains Ricoh dye?

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Yesterday I recieved a spindle of 50 Ridata 4X +R's in the post and they check out as RICOHJPNR01.

5. antons

antons Member

Today I got 500 Ritek G04 Clonedisk printable discs. They look great, the die is clean and dark - that's what i like. :)

Now, let's go spinning them in my pioneer :)