1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question on updating.. shoot me if ya want

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by bentbob, Sep 20, 2007.

1. bentbob

bentbob Member

Got a sammy drive and when I got it last year I had a friend do the firmware and put 2.5 on it (i think) obviously now they are up to 5.X and i decided that i should upgrade it, whats the easiest way to do it, can I just bung some files on a usb stick or do i need to take the 360 apart and plug the drive into my pc to flash it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and answer a very easy question

2. theridges

theridges Guest

if you play online i would recommend updating to ixtreme rev1.2

if you dont play online then 5.3 will do fine and yes you will need to reflash your drive...

3. bentbob

bentbob Member

I dont play online at all, i dont want to be owned by some 13 year old, fragging me.....

ive seen a lot of guides about how to flash the drive if its never been flashed, is there a guide somewhere on how to update the firmwear if the drive has already been flashed?

Thanks for the help.

4. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

With the Samsung and the older firmware you have, it can just be reflashed using the same procedure as a new flash.

Although, if you're not connected to Live, there's really no reason for you to upgrade. The only real benefit you'll get is single layer support. But it'll only allow you to play Xbox 1 games on single layered discs... not 360 games.

5. bentbob

bentbob Member

Ok.. its just recently nothing ive burnt has worked, tired three different dvd burners, all i get is when I put the disk in, the 360 says open tray.... I was just wondering as the firmware i think is 2.5 and now we're up to 5.3 is there was a upgrade/update that stops newer stuff from playing?

6. bentbob

bentbob Member

Hate replying to my own thread, so on my pc got 3 dvd burners, none of the burners will burn the disk correctly, tried xbox burner, clone cd and img burn... all give me the open tray message, o/s is vista, as ive got a dual boot system, booted into XP, burnt the disk, and voila.... it works fine.... so i have no idea why it wont burn correctly in vista.

7. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

It seems that there's been alot of people having problems with Vista. You might have better luck finding out why those programs aren't burning properly if you post in one of the dvd or o.s. forums.

I wouldn't specifically ask for help burning 360 games, as they'll just tell you to come here, but maybe ask for a general reason as to why your programs work in XP yet won't in Vista.