1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie question regarding disc size

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Ziggy86, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

OK, please keep in mind I am posting to the newbie section. If I have a DVD that I want to back up why would it not fit on one blank dvd? is it because the original is dual layered? If that is the reason, once dual layer burners are offered (if they are not already out there) will we be able to fit entire DVD's on one disc without needing a program like DVD Shrink?

Thanks

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Yessir.

Right again :)

DL burners are out in force now but unfortunately you need to donate organs and sell your birthright to afford DL media. Something along the lines of $8 to $10 per disc.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Got Indie? http://cdbaby.com/

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim

Forum rules! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LMFAO...........In fact I just sold a kidney, and made a coaster out of the disc.

Trouble is I cannot get a refund, well not until the recipient croaks and I shall grave rob it back..............now where's that gun gone.....

Only joking, but couldn't resist it......

But yes, DL media is expensive at the moment and only available in +r format and not rw.......pity really but I guess a company will sell more r's than rw's......

As for me, I am just holding off from making the plunge to buying a DL disc yet (got the burner fired up and ready though), just going to wait for the proposed prices for the xmas season (god dam xmas already, better write my letter to Mr Claus).

In the UK, the price sits around £4.50 per disc, I believe our Queen is the only person that can afford these types of coasters at the moment.............

4. Nephilim

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LOL......It's just a phase, she wants to be the first Royal to actually use a coaster for what it was intended for.........The Royal Mug

She wants me to put a label on it with a photo of her backside encrusted with gold trim........

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Ziggy
    You still need a program like Shrink to copy the video to a dual layer disc. The 3.2 Shrink has the option to do so. You may not need the compression, but you still need the other functions of the software to do the backup. Remember you are still dealing with an encrypted factory disc. 3.2 works for both the 5 and 9s.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2004
  7. andmerr

andmerr Guest

heres some figures from another post dealing with single layered disc properties.

cgram7
    29. August 2004 @ 13:26 Report an offensive post
    Keep in mind that manufacturers quote the capacity of a writable DVD disc in decimal (base 10) rather than binary (base 2) notation so a 4.7 GB disc stores 4.7 billion bytes [4:700,000,000 bytes ÷ 1000 = 4,700,000 KB ÷ 1000 = 4,700 MB ÷ 1000 = 4.7 GB] . Expressed in binary notation (as is typical with CD-R, CD-RW and most operating systems) the same disc has a capacity of roughly 4.38 GB [4:700,000,000 bytes ÷ 1024 = 4,589,844 KB ÷ 1024 = 4,482.27 MB ÷ 1024 = 4.38 GB] .

8. brobear

brobear Guest

In reality, the retail 4.7 GB disc holds only 4.38 GB. The 4.38 GB is the same figure used by PC and software authors. Just remember the 4.38 GB and you can forget all the math. That figure is only relevant in deciding compression or not for the disc and considering disc edge clearance. The sofware normally does the corrections on its own. However the user has the option of setting a size to insure good edge clearance. A lot more burns than most and I've never run into a problem with it or needed to make that setting adjustment.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2004
  9. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

I thought DVD shrink only reduces the size of the DVD and you need a separate decrypter to help remove the protection like DVDDycrypter. I tried using DVD shrink alone when backing up but get a copy protection error while using Nero but no errors when I use DVD decrypter and shrink.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Ziggy86
    No idea what you're doing, but Shrink only needs Decrypter in rare cases to decrypt, and personally I haven't run into one. Shrink has it's own decrypting software incorporated. The Shrink rips and encodes, but needs a burning app to finish the recording process. I'm wondering what you did with a burning ROM (Nero) to cause a copy error with Shrink. When set up properly, it is a seamless process to record with both DVD Shrink and Nero. By the time the program gets to Nero, the decryption and encoding has already occurred. There is nothing wrong with using Decrypter for Shrink. However it is something of a redundant step. Most people using Decrypter with Shrink do so and burn ISO files with Decrypter as the burner. I'd suggest going to Doom9.org and reviewing their guides for DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter; they are more comprehensive than most

11. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

When I used Shrink alone with Nero I got a copy protection error. I posted my trouble on the forum and was told to use DVD Dycrypter. I am a newbie so I thought Shrink only adjusted the size and did not dycrypting . What do I know :(

12. Nephilim

It's strange you get that many copy protection errors but you can use DVD43 to get rid of those. It's a small utility that runs in the background and dynamically bypasses the copy protection on DVDs. Here's a link to the free version:

http://dvd43.com/

You'll also need to install patin couffin driver layer for it to work:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/patin-couffin.cfm
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Got Indie? http://cdbaby.com/

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim

Forum rules! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  13. brobear

brobear Guest

Ziggy86

AnyDVD is a retail decrypting program (background type decrypter). It does a superior job to most apps of its type. In fact I haven't seen anyone say another is better; not free like DVD43, but a better app. They have a long trial, so give it a try. There is nothing extra you have to add for setting this one up. You just install it and let it run. That'll tell you if the problem is in the decryption process or not.

Something still sounds wrong. Nero has nothing to do with the decryption and encoding portion of the backup process. Once the file is sent to the burning ROM it is already decrypted and sized to fit the target. If there is a copy error, how could it have anything to do with the decoding process? Exactly what does this copy error say or is it just "copy error"?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2004