1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie questions - PS2

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by NYHelm, Mar 5, 2005.

1. NYHelm

NYHelm Member

Hiya, have searched and searched and can't find specific answers to the questions I have, so please excuse me because I am asking questions asked a trillion times before I'm sure, but I need help, so...

I have a regular old PS2 that I bought for the kids, we use it as a DVD player as well (keeps things less complicated). Well I've learned how to backup their DVDs so I don't have to keep buying the same titles over and over, now I need help with PS2 games. I have no intention whatsoever of copying games I don't own, I just need to have copies of the ones I've bought them because they are continually trashed. I would like them to be able to be played on NTSC and PAL because we're moving back to Australia and if the PS2 kicks the bucket, I'll have no choice but to buy an Aussie one. Do I need to install a "mod," and if I do, which should I buy? Are they easily installed? What about the CDs you just put in first to boot, easier? Better? What's the difference between DVD PS2 games and CD PS2 games?

I think that about covers it for now, I appreciate anything anyone can offer.

NYHelm

2. abx

abx Guest

Here is a link to an easy to install chip that I think is very good.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/128992

You can also use A Swap magic disk.

I would not use the playstation to view DVD movies. The Playstation laser is the weak part of the system. If it fails it is hard to fix. A dvd player is very cheap.

3. newb_11

newb_11 Member

Hey NY,

You have 3 options for backing up ps2 games.

1. Install a mod chip.

2. Use SwapMagic 3.3 with a slider card or fliptop cover.

3. Get a Hard drive and HD Advance or HD Loader. I believe HD Advance can load up to 200+ gigs of games onto your hard drive, Im not sure about HD Loader.

The choice is really up to you. Read the link abx posted and if you feel comfortable sodering in a mod chip go for it. You will spend less time swaping discs & more time playing games. With the fliptop method you never want to have that top opened while your ps2 is reading a disc. It can damage both your disc and lense very easy. With kids around maybe that one isnt such a good idea?

If you are going back and forth between NTSC and PAL versions of games check this link out. get a PAL to NTSC with y fix from

http://www.geocities.com/jayteemaster2003

I use the fliptop/Sm 3.3 method and am waiting to install a maxtor 200 gig HD and HD advance to work with it. Check out your pm box to see a good link where to find swap magic 3.3 and fliptop for about 30 bucks.

4. NYHelm

NYHelm Member

Thanks for the VERY helpful info, mod seems like the way to go for me, kid friendly as it is. Now to decide which mod, and work out how difficult it is to install although perhaps I should just replace this one with a premod...

Anyway, thanks again, much appreciated.

NYHelm