1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie questions regarding PS2 backup quality

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by dane37, Apr 18, 2005.

1. dane37

dane37 Member

Hi,

I've been lurking in this forum for the last 4 months, researching best practices for backing up PS2 games, and this is my first post, so hello to all! I just started backing up PS2 games this past weekend and I have few questions. Before I get to my questions, here are my system specs, tools, and media I use to backup my PS2 games:

-P4 2.5 GHz, 1.0 GB RAM, Windows XP Pro
    -NEC 3520A DVD burner
    -DVD Decrypter
    -Roxio Easy Media Creator 7
    -Prodisc white inkjet printable 8X DVD-R (Media ID: MCC 02RG20) with AZO dye certifed by Pioneer Labs (does this even matter?). I print the scanned images of the games with an Epson R200.
    -PS2 v4 with Duo2 SE Modchip

Before I came to this forum 4 months ago, I already had the above hardware and software, except the modchip which I had installed this past weekend. It seems the most successful posts in this forum on quality burns use either Alcohol 120% or Nero to backup the ripped files on DVD, Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and other high quality DVD-R media as the media of choice, Plextor, BenQ, or Pioneer as the DVD burner, and burning it no higher than 2x.

Before I really dive into backing up PS2 games and spending the money, I wanted to see if I could get by with what I already have. Here are my results for my first 4 attempts (coasters):

1. X-Men Legends: DVD Decrypter to rip the game, Roxio to burn the ISO image at 2x speed. Burn was successfull, but game would not load to the start screen. It would take a long time to load to the intro movies, skipping and freezing of music, and stuck at loading screen. Coaster.

2. Enter the Matrix: DVD Decrypter to rip the game, DVD Decrypter to burn the ISO image at 1x speed. Burn was successful, took the game forever to load, alot of skipping before finally being able to choose a character and once game started, sound was not working properly. Coaster

3. Enter the Matrix: Used same image from DVD Decrypter, DVD Decrypter to burn MDS file at 1x speed. Same results as above. Coaster.

4. Mortal Kombat Deception: DVD Decrypter to rip the game, DVD Decrypter to burn MDS file at 2x speed. Same results as X-Men Legends, where it would get stuck loading once I select a character. Coaster.

After the first 4 attempts, I didn't know where to start troubleshooting the problem (media, DVD burner, or software). I was about to go buy some better quality media, but before I decided to do that (because I have ALOT of Prodisc discs, which works great on my 60+ movies; after 1 year still no problems), I went to the official DVD Decrypter site to see if they had a guide on how to use DVD Decrypter to back up PS2 games. I found the following instructions from Lightning UK! himself:

No where in his instructions does he say to burn at any particular speed. I decided to try burning Enter the Matrix again, this time leaving the burn speed to its default (Max). It burned at an average of 8x speed. It burned successful and to my surprise when I put it in my PS2, the game loaded quickly, with no skipping, movies where perfect and sound was excellent. I thought this was fluke, so I did the same for X-Men Legends. Same results. I was really excited now, so I followed the same process for Mortal Kombat Deception. Perfect. I moved on to other games: Godzilla Save the Earth and Ratchet and Clank. Perfect backups. I was going to start backing up all my PS2 originals, but before I did that, I stopped myself because my process is not the norm on the forums (I did read some posts where high burn speeds were successful, but they seem to be the minority). I decided to play the backups as much as I could on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to detect any errors I may have missed. I saved the games on my memory card and see if they loaded and they did, play around with the different options(sound, controller, etc). I played each backup an average of 4 hours each, with some understanding from my wife =), and was able to get to higher levels without no loading problems or movie/sound skipping. Gameplay was exactly as the originals. I know I can't know 100% sure the backups work correctly unless I complete the games or play them constantly during the week. Unfortunately, with my job and family I won't be able to do that for the time being.

So finally, here are my questions:

1. Do any of the experts know how to check a game for errors besides completing the game? I used DVDInfo Pro to check for CRC errors and of course there were none since the burn was successful.

2. Is there a certain time frame (in terms of hours played or just the age of the disc) I should know about when backups generally fail?

3. Has anyone followed the same process and used the same hardware, software, media, etc I did and found general success with backing up games (meaning minimal coasters)?

4. Same question as #3, but was unsuccessful. If so, how did you find success?

Thank you for your time in reading this long post. I just want to make sure before I start to continue backing up PS2 games that I covered all the scenarios and see if I don't have to invest further in making successful backups.

2. popi0088

popi0088 Member

Hello there! 1st off I am new at this also. I have a sony 16x dvd+r dvd rom/rw. I used dvd decrypter and it wrote to the hd at 9x wouldn't go slower. So then I burned through nero and eventually through dvd decrypter. Nero burned at a high speed dvd decrypter burned around 3x. All coasters as in not working at all. I was using pioneer dvd-r. So today I plan on buying verbatim dvd-r. I can let you know if that works. But looks like ill have to continue writing fast. But ill burn 1 fast and 1 slow and let you know what I get. And thanks for posting your results it helps other new people try other experiments.

3. MarkPS2

MarkPS2 Regular member

Hey, im also a newbie. I havnt tried backing up yet im getting the equiptment i need this week. I have seen a few people say that burning fast 8x speed works fine, I guess if it works for you then stick with it. Atleast you dont have to wait as long for the game to burn. :)

4. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

Burning fast is fine but when you get to some tougher games they wont work if you dont burn slow : )

5. popi0088

popi0088 Member

Finally got it to work. I had to copy on the fly to make nero read at 8x. Used a phillips dvd-r. Since disk only went to 8x it read at 8x. I made 1 before that one by letting it read than file to my hd than copy at 2.4x the load time on that one was horrible. The one I copied at 8x runs just like my original. Thanks for posting your thoughts it helped me a lot. And, I got great results at 8x.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

I always use Phillips 8X DVD-R discs
    they work great.
    I never make any coasters since i switched to using those, and i have burned plenty on them.

Dane37, the DVD Decrypter instructions you wrote are correct. I would say it is a media problem most likely. I have never heard of Prodiscs myself. I use DVD Decrypter all the time to both copy the ISO to my harddrive and to burn to a disc. I can tell you from experience that i have had plenty of disc that worked fine for movies, but when i tried to burn games to them i got the "please insert a valid PS2 disc" message.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  7. paddymail

paddymail Regular member

Hi, I always use 8 speed to write my backups using nero reloaded. i also have an NEC ND3520A burner, but I always use either ritek g04, ritek g05 or verbatim 8x dvd-r for the media.
    there's only been 1 game so far that I haven't been able to backup, that was ghost recon 2 - even after rebuilding the iso it wouldn't work. But in general all my backups have worked perfectly - even better than the originals in most cases as they have loaded faster.
    my ps2 is version4 and i use a fliptop and sm3.3 by the way. I would just stick to what is working for you - everybody will have different specs when it comes to ps2 versions and what mods, computer hardware and software that they use to make backups... if you find something that works for you, then stick with it.

good luck