1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie ??'s please forgive me.

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jackthe, Nov 20, 2004.

1. jackthe

jackthe Member

I just got out of the dark ages and got my first dvd burner. Its a lite-on drive. I want to use dvd-r discs because I know my sanyo dvd player will play them. How do I know what type of dvd's to buy? I see some that says 2x 4x and even 8x. Also, what brand should I buy that I should'nt find too many flawed?
    Im sure Ill have tons more questions to come but here is a start.
    Thanks for any help!

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

jackthe,
    Lite-ons actually prefer dvd+r media. They love Ritek Ridata media code Ricohjpn R01. You could try a small spindle. Most new stand-alone dvd players will play both +r and -r and if yours won't you can booktype dvd+r media dvd-rom with your litey and a bitsetting tool thus making your +r's as compatable (if not more so) as -r's. Here's a link to check your stand-alone's compatability. http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  3. jackthe

jackthe Member

ok...some of that I understand, some is greek.
    Where is a good place to buy the Ritek Ridata media code Ricohjpn R01?
    Also, if my lite-on records dvd+r at 8x and the dvd-r at 4x does that mean I should only buy those x types. Or is it ok to use dvd+r 4x disc's?

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Here is where I buy my media. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...=71&manufactory=2015&DEPA=0&sortby=14&order=1 You will either get Ricohjpn R01 or Ritek R03 if you choose 4x media. The R03 work well also but I still prefer the Ricohjpn. Most will say to limit your burn speeds to 4x and under for vidio reproduction to reduce the posibility for write errors. Ricohjpn R01 will actually burn very well at 8x although they are rated 4x. I burn all mine at 8x with absolutely no problems. I have to burn dvd-r media at 2x to get a good burn.

5. jackthe

jackthe Member

thank you, Im starting to get it!

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You are welcome. If you get the Ricoh's I'm sure you won't be disappointed. If you have any playback issues, get back with me and we'll get ya going. You might consider buying rw media untill you get up n going. Good luck.