1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to DVD burning,ripping and evereything and in Desperate need of help !!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by AKAJen, May 5, 2007.

1. AKAJen

AKAJen Member

I'm trying to create back up of my son's DVD and I'm new to this whole DVD ripping and burning thing. I've tried read through some of the topics but they leave me more confused than when I began. I'm not sure which programs I need. I don't know which order to do things in such as getting a Decrypter or a DVD Shrink or an Encoder. Im at a total loss. If anyone can tell me what programs and order they shoud be done I would be so thankful !!!

2. onya

onya Guest

Welcome to Afterdawn :)

Use the link below to get the software you need and the guides on how to use them. Use the third or fourth(my personal choice) option down as these are freeware combo's, and work very well and are easy to set up.

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/A_F_Guides.html

Follow the instructions and all should be well. Post back with any queries you may have(use the reply button).

3. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2007
  4. eric545

eric545 Regular member

AKAJen

You need to do the following:

1. Rip (decrypt) the DVD (movie) to your hard drive

2. Shrink the movie (if possible) so that it fits on a single layer DVD

3. Burn the movie to a blank DVD

For Ripping I suggest DVD Decrypter with AnyDVD running in the background. DVD Decrypter is no longer supported however; it still works for many DVD movies. For the movies that DVD Decrypter can't rip, use AnyDVD

To shrink try DVD Shrink

Last; burn the movie to a blank DVD using CloneDVD 2

For AnyDVD and CloneDVD 2 take a look at this site:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/

The programs aren't free however; they seem to work well and are constantly being updated.

You can start on this page of mine that has a number of links to the programs listed above.

http://mysite.verizon.net/eric.groves/pg48.html

5. res2cue

res2cue Guest

or you can skip shrink all together and let clonedvd do all the work for you. if you get anydvd and clonedvd from here that is everything you need. There is no movie they can't handle.

Anydvd runs in the background, you hardly will know it's there. Open the DVD with clonedvd and select your options, click next and follow the prompt to put in your blank disc... its that easy.

Once you gain more experience there are separate program that you can do more tinkering, but lets keep it simple this time. You would never regret spending the money on the slysoft programs if you plan on doing future backups.

and yes, Welcome to Afterdawn, I think you will find the information from member invaluable and very informative. You'll be burning like a pro in no time.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2007