1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to PS2 backups

Discussion in 'PS2' started by baabaa, Jun 12, 2003.

1. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hi everyone.
    I have had a look at guides - but all relate to disc to disc.

I am an oldy to cd/dvd burning however I am having trouble with PS2 backups - creating them.

I have v4 with magic 3.1 installed and functioning. (tested)

I have nero/recordnowmax.
    I use ME (fat32)

I have always had major problems burning dvd's on the fly so I will not go down that route.

Requirements:
    I need to transfer the PS2 dvd to hd and then burn to dvd.
    Now for some games I can create an image no problems - and burn back.
    However, as I use the fat32 - I know I will encounter problems creating an image OVER 4Gb.
    Can I somehow read the dvd RAW and burn back, if so how?
    Or can someone see an easier alternative software for me to use - paying for it is not a problem/where?

Thanks in advance.

2. Wulfie66

Wulfie66 Regular member

Unfortunately since your pretty much 'stuck' with FAT32, I believe the only way you'll be able to make backups is to either copy on the fly (which you said you don't want to do), or upgrade to an OS that'll support NTFS (i.e. Windows XP). There may be another way around that, but of that I'm not certain.

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Thankyou for your response wulfie66.

I am beginning to think the NTFS format is the way I shall have to go.

I am going to have a play with my ide connections again - to see if I can get the disc to disc to become more reliable, before I take the plunge.

Thing is my pc is adequate for what I use it for, and can't see the real point of upgrading JUST to be able to backup PS2 games.

My problems on the fly:

Buffer underuns, mainly - do not encounter these with cd's (not as higher transfer rate)
    Mismatch in media (read speeds)

Lg 16x dvd rom
    Pioneer a03 -r /-rw burner (latest firmware)

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

:) :) :) :)

Baabaa is dancing through the fields.

Just come across my 'on the fly' problem, checked out my ide connections - shock horror.

Had dvdrom and dvd burner on same ide - data collisions eh.....
    Funny really cos I always make a note of my setup, and each time I add etc (on a pad)
    Says my reader/writer are on seperate ide's EXCEPT they weren't.
    Dam Pixies have been in again - they're busted.

Just successfully solved my problem - recnowmax performed on the fly with 2 PS2 games and a (test) backup of a backup(movie).

Thanks again wulfie66 - your response actually made me look at my ide setup (for some reason)
    - and paid off......baaaaa!

5. WEStar

WEStar Active member

you can burn fine with fat32 even if you don't want to burn on the fly. Record now max just makes more than 1 image (.gi) usually 3 depending on how big the dvd is 2 files are data and the 3rd file is small and acts like a .cue file to tell record now how to burn the files.

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Cheers for the response, however I have a problem using recnowmax to create an image.

It stitches up my pc when I try to burn it back.

Anyway - I do not need the 'image' way now cos I am jumpin through hoops now my 'on the fly' problem is sorted out.

Thanks though westar.