1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to the scene, have a few questions...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mikewpe, Feb 7, 2005.

1. mikewpe

mikewpe Member

Hi all, just got my DVD burner in the other day, and have a few questions.

I've used some of the help topics on here, and have mixed results.

What I've been doing is using AnyDVD for the CSS break, and using DVD-Decryptor to rip the files to the HDD, and then using DVDShrink to do it's thing (the DVDs have been larger than 4.7GB) and then burn.

I guess what I am asking, what's the fastest way to do this? Does it take 2+ hours to copy DVDs?

While I might have missed some guides, and by no means am I complaining about the time it takes, wondering if anyone could give me some pointers.

Thanks in advance.

Also, if it helps, I have a Pioneer DVR-109.

2. restart

restart Member

You could eliminate two steps by just going to dvd shrink to do the ripping if the disks has no protection on it. I've found time varies with the size of the files. If the movie is greater than dvd5, shrinkage is necessary and could take up to 2 hours, depending on the quality settings and size of the movie file. If compression is not needed it could take 6 to 10 minutes to rip. Burning depends on your media and burner.

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

20/25 mins to rip

about the same to shrink

14 mins to burn..

so about an hour!

pioneer 106D

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  4. hursty

hursty Active member

wont shrink rip protected movies?

any dvd runs in background

you could eliminate "1" step,not 2,as anydvd just runs silently alongside shrink

with kind regards hursty

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

very true hursty ;-])--~

6. restart

restart Member

By protection I meant the blank areas placed on certain movies such as Forgotten which create crc errors. I don't mean encryption. Shrink handles 98% of it very well. I've never used "any dvd" and have found no need for it. Dvd Decrypter and Shrink work very well. Usually any ripping problems I've had in the past can be associated with a scratched or dirty disk except for "forgotten" . It's the end product that's been the problem. Bad burns. Sometimes the media is bad but sometimes it's just the hardware slowly failing. Even upgrading firmware doesn't necessarily solve the problem. Sometimes the real solution is just a new drive. By the way I use Roxio and not Nero. Roxio has never been the problem. It's only an intermediary to the firmware which actually does the burning.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005