1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie tried search read guides wasting discs help me

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by femur1, Jun 9, 2007.

1. femur1

femur1 Member

gday all i dont even know where to introduce myself so looks like this is it i am from Australia very new to computers i fix cars for a living panelbeater/spraypainter have been trying to burn stuff for weeks now with some sucsess only with the software that i have paid for tried avi2dvd it worked for downloaded stuff so i bought it problem sorted it works good, tried to back up a dvd with dvd decrypter and dvd shrink after reading the guides a couple of times the results have not been good burned discs are useless,got sick of that got the trial of clone dvd/any dvd works great had sucsess every time what do you all think, should i just buy clone dvd/any dvd $69USD or try to get it right with the free programs i am obviosly doing something wrong any info or hints as to where i should look cheers. ps hope i did it right and didnt break to many forum rules.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Use DVDFabDecrypter to rip your DVD
    Insert disk, run program, select 'Main Movie' or 'Full Disk'
    http://209.172.35.173/download/DVDFabHDDecrypter3108.exe

Use DVD Shrink to open the output folder from Fab then tell Shrink to backup and burn with DVD Decrypter.Set Decrypter to burn at 4x and use media that says 'Made in Japan' or 'Verbatim'.

DVD Decrypter is dated as far as ripping a disk.It has not been updated for years.

3. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

here is a guide for all free programs and that will work with all dvds
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/Guides/alkohol_guide1.html
    very easy detailed guide(step by step with screen shots)

here is a whole bunch of guides that are more recent and that will work
    there is also an ANYdvd/CloneDVD guide in this website too
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/Guides.htm

basically you really dont need to buy any kind of program to backup dvds,(free ones work just as good as any pay programs) however if you do want to buy a program anydvd and cloneDVD are the best choice, you get your moneys worth

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

just passing thru..

not dismissing attar's reply, but DVDFab HD Decrypter is now (as of today) at version 3.1.3.0, the updates are becoming very frequent of late..

drop by here at least once a week for updates - http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

..and check here also as the program author posts at cdfreaks, this is a good way to keep up to date with the frequent Beta versions too - http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=116

I always used to run the Beta's until a subsequent final version came out but with the frequent updates lately i just save all versions to my hard drive (and burn to CD eventually) and just run the latest final version, with all previous versions to fall back on, in the (virtually non-existent) eventuality that there are problems in the latest version..

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  5. witenoiz

witenoiz Regular member

I know there are a lot of new methods in here - but the best for me is as follows - and if you have this stuff installed take them out and start over.

#1 Install DVD Shrink 3.2
    #2 Install DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 These two programs might be hard to find but they are a must and I understand have to be installed before you go any further.

#3 Install RipIt4Me
    #4 Install FixVTS

#5 Buy and install Nero 7.0

There are guides in here for all of these programs and the first four are free if you do some research and more searching - they are available to download.

I do the 1 click RipIt4Me choose a folder or take the default and when all of them are done burn/backup with Nero - should be the default.

I could not backup "The Messenger" with CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD - but with the above programs did that and "Apocalypto" Good Luck

6. nanu-nanu

nanu-nanu Member

Some needs to send him ScubaPetes guide.

Also, call me uniformed, but why would someone use Nero AND Decypter or Shrink or even Imgburn?

7. witenoiz

witenoiz Regular member

nanu-nanu - I use Nero because I had it when I started backing up DVD's.
    I learned how to do the things that work for me using the programs mentioned - if it works, don't fix it. Now, Image Burn - I do some DVD copying and editing for a company in the midwest representing a group of doctors. They had an avi file that they wanted to play on clients free standing DVD players, along with a Power Point Program and some Word files that could be accessed through a computer. It is the only way I could figure to do both a DVD and indibidual files on the same disc - Image or ISO was the only way I knew how to do that. I still put myself in the 'new-at-this' category even though I have been doing it for about 4 years. Shrink and Decrypter and Nero are very helpful for more than just copying or backing up movies.

8. creaky

This is nothing, some members here use a ridiculous amount of software. I myself use Nero just because i have it, however i only use the Burning Rom part of it, have no need for the other bloat that comes with Nero. DVD Decrypter still has it's uses (admittedly i very rarely use it now due to relying on DVDFab HD Decrypter). I have no use for Imgburn or Ripit4me (could never be bothered setting ripit4me up). Apart from Vobblanker the only other 2 programs i use are DVD Shrink and DVD Rebuilder, Rebuilder is used for movies or episodic discs where Shrink just doesn't/can't cut it due to heavy compression..

*edited due to a few spelling mistakes

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  9. femur1

femur1 Member

gday thanks for all of your replys, as i said very new to computers and what can be done with them i will be learning for a long time just to get some sort of understanding of computers and what they can do i will try out everything that has been suggested, should sort out my burning/backing up dvd issues.thanks again to all cheers

10. Mossey

Mossey Member

Just checking upates, DVDFabHD (this program is a must) is now up to 3.1.3.2, as Creaky said its been update almost weekly.Also search out guides by Alkohol,his guides will walk you through whats needed for successful back ups,Happy burning!

11. creaky

- Good grief :) - 3.1.3.0 only came out yesterday, i'd better install 3.1.3.2 on my DVD Burning PC's now then

12. Mossey

Mossey Member

Hey Creaky, looking forward to update 3.1.3.5 tomorrow He He He!

13. creaky

indeed. i'm sure Fengtao and Ting are beavering away feverishly as i type :)