1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie wants to add memory and hard drive space to laptop

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by VJbob, Dec 27, 2004.

1. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I don't know the slightest thing about installing hardware into a computer but I want to upgrade my laptop to have 1GB memory and at least 80GB hard drive. At the moment I'm not concerned about brands but I'm wondering how can I get this installed on my laptop. I'm worried that if I buy the parts and get it installed at Best Buy or some other store they will find some 3 year old mp3s on my computer of which the original cd I don't own and yadayadayada. Is it possible to do this on my own? Is there a guide somewhere in this forum on how to do this?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

don't worry about mp3s worry about pictures/movies of a certain nature than police would be after you. find info of what laptop can be expanded to both ram & hd than with those specs go looking for the ram & hd that will fit your laptop as desktop ram & hd won't fit most laptops. have store install ram & hd so that info can be transfered to new hd. buy an external usb case to fit old hd as additional storage space & to use to swap files between computers

3. chief773

chief773 Member

I would check your manufactur of your laptop's website to see what kind of ram is compatible. They should also have some instructions to show you how to upgrade the memory and hard driver. If you upgrade the hard drive, make sure you have all your drivers downloaded before hand as you'll likely have to do a new install of windows. Good Luck!