1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie wants to know what to consider when buying media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by qpasha, Aug 19, 2004.

1. qpasha

qpasha Member

I basically found out the hard way that not all media are created equal, so i figured i'd ask what things there are to consider when buying media.

1. I just found out about the media compatibility with the brand of burner that you have.

2. What are the differences between the dyes, i read about organic dyes, azo, metal azo, super azo, super sensitive dyes? whats the difference, and is ther any one that is better than the others.

3. Which is the media that has that really cool purple looking back, like the one on some ps2 disc, sorry just couldn't resist asking, and is it any good.

2. toyfigure

toyfigure Guest

As far as I know a lot of the blank DVD media has purple backs on it.

And as for PS2 purple discs, those are CDs, not DVD.

3. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

first you need to know if you have a dual format burner.. you know +/- R media burner. secondly like the mate above me said, the purple ps2 discs are not dvds, they are cd-roms. and lastly, i strongly recommend you buying Ritek media.. from newegg.com and you wont go wrong

4. qpasha

qpasha Member

i have a nec 2510a dual layer +/- drive. I got the unifino dvd-r from newegg, the reviews ther were good with the drive that i have, so a 100pack for $34 with free shipping seemed like a good deal, i've been researching and these results http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=102568&highlight=unifino with the right firmware seem to be good

5. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

well i hope they work for you.. but i havent heard anything about that media, i wouldve bought the ritek's. but to each its own

6. qpasha

qpasha Member

yeah i completley agree, but when i bought them i hadnt realized that all media arent created equal. What i meant was that, initially i panicked because i thought i had garbage, but after the reasearch it seems that the media is not that bad, just not weell known. did you see the results in the link, i'm new so alot of the info went over my head, but what i understood looks ok, do you agree.

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Unifina aroused my interest after looking at comments on other sites so tonight I ordered a 25 pack ($11.99) for testing just because I love to live on the edge :p

8. Nephilim

Apparently they're made in Japan too!

9. qpasha

qpasha Member

absolutley hilarious, i just hope you're not mad at me if they suck, but did you check the link, they seem to work pretty good in the results, right?

10. qpasha

qpasha Member

Nephilim, i got the unifino's today, i gotta say that the disk themselves look beautiful, they have a clear opaque layer on the top and they are a light purple on the writing side, i'll scan and post for others a soon as i get my printer installed

11. datageek

datageek Member

Just like everything else that would cost me $$ I lurked on this board for over several months reading and reading. I've had only 3 coasters but that's from my own fault. duh I have use TDK's both +/- R's and the Ritek's GO4's - no problems. Listen to what everyone has said about their use of media and also check for player compatability.
    Good Luck
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD 1500, 120gb WD HD w/NTFS, 512k, Pioneer AO7 w/flashed firmware, BTC 16x DVD rom
    DVD Decrypter 3.2.30, DVD Shrink 3.2.15, Nero 6.3 w/paks 1,2&4,[/small]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  12. Nephilim

No worries or blame to be spread if they suck, that's why I only ordered 25. There's always data to be witten slowly if they do suck :)

13. Nephilim

Lol! I like the way you think :)

A bit of time spent researching pays off doesn't it? I've helped many folks who jumped in feet first and only came here after their pile of coasters became unbearably high :)

14. Coba

Coba Member

Over here in Japan Unifino is rated as the worst Made in Japan Media....its rated lower than Ritek...and Ritek is also rated as poor Media over here...
    Over here TYs,TDKs and Maxells Made in Japan are rated as the best.

15. qpasha

qpasha Member

I burned 4 backups with out any coasters, the quality as far as i can tell is fine, they look just like the originals to me, but im no expert, they just burn really slow, i think i need to update firmware.

16. Nephilim

Hi,

What speed are they burning at? How many minutes does it take to burn?

17. qpasha

qpasha Member

when i use the decrypter, both time when i left it at m,x and at 4x, it said like 1.5x was the avg, i have run the nero cd/dvd speed test, or the scan disk yet so i'm sure thats not accurate. it's taking a little over half an hour.

18. qpasha

qpasha Member

have not run the tests i mean.

19. Nephilim

20. qpasha

qpasha Member

i went to the nero info tool.

1. I went to configuration, and for some reason my smasumg dvd-rom is set to master with dma on, and my nec 2510a is set to slave with dma off. i;m gonna open the computer up and check the setting of cs again, because when i try to change to dma if available,in the device manager it wont change from PI mode.

2. i also used the nero info tool, and under disk it has the mnufacturer id listed with suggested speeds, so i think its recognizing the media, or does it have to list the name.