1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - What exactly do I need?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by beltline, Dec 17, 2004.

1. beltline

beltline Regular member

Okay I understand how to burn a backup of a PS2 game. Now after that I'm not exactly sure what all I need is? I don't want to mess with the mod chip thing. It sounds like there are other options, but I'm not sure of what all I have to purchase and where? If someone could give me my other options with a list of needed materials for the options, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    John

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  2. rowdan

rowdan Member

Swapmagic
    MC Loader
    HD Loader
    HD Advance

3. beltline

beltline Regular member

I believe I have a version 4 US PS2. I don't want to solder anything. I have no interest in playing games online. After reading some more. Is it right to say that I can play backups with a Swap Magic disc and a Flip-Top, and that's it? If so, what version of Swap Magic do I need, and could anyone suggest where would be a good place to order this from.

Thanks
    John

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  4. atzero

atzero Member

I suggest getting a copy of HDLoader. It is a CD that enables games to be backed up to your HD, eliminating the need to burn them to a cd-r. Without any physical mods to your PS2, there are also ways to transfer downloaded iso's from your PC to the harddrive as well, using HDLoader and the mem card exploit.

5. beltline

beltline Regular member

So to use HDLOADER. What exactly do I need? From reading across pages and pages of information, here is what I came up with. Please let me know if I am on the right track?

1. PS2 network adapter ( I believe I need this to use a hard drive? )

2. Hard Drive ( Will any Maxtor 7200 Hard Drive do? )

3. HDLOADER - To copy my games to the hard drive.

Is that all I need?

Thanks

6. hursty

hursty Active member

whether you go for HDLOADER,depends on how many games you are going to back up,all depends on the size of your hardrive,you can only fit so many games onto your hardrive,each dvd game can be anything from approx 3-8GB,which is a lot.if you are thinking backing up lots of games, and dont want to use modchip,i would go for swapmagic with slide card,no soldering required(approx £20).get yourself dvdrewriter(if you havent got one)download dvd decrypter.and create your own dvd backups.

7. rowdan

rowdan Member

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/

they have an extencive list of hard drives that they list, not only will it work for HDLoader but weither or not the HDD will actually phisicly fit inside and the network conector will plug in, keep in mind they may not have all the HDD in the world listed but it may help if your planing to buy a new drive also just because they say it will not fit dose not mean you cant mod your controler to make it fit......

8. beltline

beltline Regular member

Great information there rowdan. I just happen to have the Maxtor 120 and 160gb drives that are compatable with my version 4 PS2. This is actually for my son. I don't think we'll ever need to back up more than 20 games. So I should be okay on the hard drive. Now just to be sure. If I choose this route. Is the only other things I need is HDLOADER and a Network Adapter? Also, before I go and buy a network adapter off of eBay. If there are any common misconceptions where I could buy the wrong thing, please let me know.

Thanks