1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie with swap magic question!!

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by siccamaro, Apr 17, 2005.

1. siccamaro

siccamaro Member

hi everyone!!

i have searched the forums for an answer to my question but i cannot find it anywhere so i thought it was time to ask.

i have a ps2 (not a flip top) and i would like to make backups of a few of my games. i understand that i cannot play the backups without swap magic, modchip, etc. i am interested in getting the swap magic disks and slide tool as this seems the easiest for a newbie like me.

my question is: do i have to have a flip top style console to use the swap magic disks and slide tool?? would swap magic indeed be a good choice for someone who doesn't really know what they are doing??

thanks for your time!!
    heidi

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

swap magic and slide card will work, but i recommend buying a fliptop instead of the slide card.

3. siccamaro

siccamaro Member

so if i bought a flip top, would i still have the front tray that ejects?? what is the slide card used for then, i thought you needed a slide card no matter what??

i am just confused... can someone explain to me how it works?? i just want the easiest way to play my backups with what i already have: ps2 (non flip top)... what do i need to get??

thanks so much for your help!!

heidi

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

yes the tray still ejects. The slide card lets you manually pull the tray out so you can swap discs (which is hard on the ps2). The fliptop lets you swap discs without messing with the tray. You have to swap for you backup without the ps2 knowing.

5. nswolter

nswolter Regular member

The thing is here man, you have to be able to swap out the swap magic disk with the burned game, without your playstation knowing you did it (it knows when the tray opens by the button). Flip top and slide card are 2 different ways to accomplish this. I went with flip top myself, it is very easy and keeps more dust out of your PS2. you can still use the try with the flip top installed, yes. Hope this helps

6. nswolter

nswolter Regular member

Now i see that i have completely repeated everything the other guy said, my bad. anyway do the flip top

7. siccamaro

siccamaro Member

thank you both for your replies!! your information has helped to clarify things for me.

i just have a few more questions: is the flip top a whole new casing?? so all i need is the flip top and the swap magic disks?? i don't need the slide tool because that's only for use with a tray??

thanks again, you guys are great!!

heidi

8. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

Yes, it is pretty much a whole new case, and a good one at that. No need for slide card and your tray will stay intact.

9. siccamaro

siccamaro Member

thanks!! all of you guys are so awesome and informative!! i've learned so much from all of you

heidi

10. novicebb

novicebb Regular member

I don't understand any of this. What the hell is a flip top? WHat is there two different PS2's? One that is a flip and the on the other that is front loaded? I have to admit I am lost.

11. AtrophyG4

AtrophyG4 Member

The old playstations had a slide out tray just like a computer that you put the disk on. The new playstations went back to the push a button and the top flips open, like a CD player boombox or the old PSone. If you have the tray loading PS2, you can buy a case mod with a flip top above the drive so you don't have to eject the drive to get the disk. Just open the top and pull it out.

12. novicebb

novicebb Regular member

Ok thank you. Had no idea. So how much does a flip top thingy you was talking about cost?

13. AtrophyG4

AtrophyG4 Member

They run about $40 and you get the swap magic disks with it. I did a quick google on ps2 flip top and found this site http://www.ps2cover.com/ which has everything on the front page so you can see the differences and might clear up any other questions. Good luck.