1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbies: simple guide 'How to back up a movie'

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by alkohol, Nov 12, 2005.

1. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

NOTE: This is just a very basic guide for newbies only.

To Backup a DVD using DVD Decrypter, Nero Recode 2 and Nero Burning Rom

01) open your “C: Drive” or “Hard Drive,” click on File, New, Folder
    and name it MyNewBackup_DVD (or whatever you desired), then [Enter] to save it. Now make a sub folder called VIDEO_TS inside MyNewBackup_DVD, hit [Enter] to save it.

02) open your Hard drive again and make another folder as My_Final_Recode_DVD. Now make a sub folder called VIDEO_TS inside My_Final_Recode_DVD, hit [Enter] to save it.

To Rip a DVD using DVD Decrypter via File Mode

NOTE: in prior to the ripping part, let’s tweak/set a few settings inside DVD Decrypter*

** open up DVD Decrypter, go to Tools, and Settings

[​IMG]

** at General on “Removal Method” arrow down to “Aggressive”

[​IMG]

** at I/O, check “Ignore Read Errors”

[​IMG]

** at “File Mode” check on all of the Remove, Ignore, Patch and Create MDS file.

[​IMG]

** at CSS check “Brute Force -->I/O key exchange,
    On Failure: use key from another file [YES]

[​IMG]

** at “ISO Read Mode” check on all Remove and Create MDS file

[​IMG]

A) once you’re done with the settings, click OK to get out from the settings.

B) put original movie in "DVD-ROM drive ” *(if you have an additional DVD burner)
    or put original movie in “DVD burner” *(if you don’t have a DVD-ROM drive)

C) put a high quality media in your DVD burner *(if only you have the original movie inside your DVD-ROM drive)

NOTE: (use high quality media such as Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, and Maxell (Made In Japan only)

D) open up DVD Decrypter, click on MODE, File F

[​IMG]

E) click on “Edit” then “Select All”

[​IMG]

F) "Source" <---where the original movie is located (DVD-ROM or DVD burner)

G) "Destination" <-- browse to your New Folder that you created earlier aka "MYNEWBACKUP_DVD," and VIDEO_TS,
    then click OK

[​IMG]

H) click on "Decrypt" <--- it's the arrow next to the disc and burner icon.

[​IMG]

Now sit back, relax, go smoke/take a puff or go watch TV and wait until it's completed.
    Don't mess with your computer at this time.

[​IMG]

NOTE: make sure you don’t have any other unnecessary programs running while DVD Decrypter is ripping.

To Encode a movie using Nero Recode 2

01) click on Nero StartSmart and click on Nero Recode

[​IMG]

02) Open up Nero Recode 2, click on "Recode an Entire DVD to DVD"

[​IMG]

03) change your "Custom" settings to “4360MB or 4400MB” and check on "Fit To Target"

[​IMG]

04) click on "Import DVD" and browse to your New Folder "MyNewBackup_DVD"
    then to VIDEO_TS,, then OK.

[​IMG]

Nero Recode should do a quick analysis now -- approximately 1 – 2 minutes.

[​IMG]

Once it’s done you should have the whole completed movie with Main Title, Audio, Foreign Audio
    or Subtitles and Extras. If you don't want to remove anything, then just leave as it is
    and you'll have a "full disc back up" now click on "NEXT"

[​IMG]

**NOTE: now you can remove any unwanted Commentary Audio, Foreign Audio, Subtitles and Extras,
    so your backup will be better on the quality.

[​IMG]

**NOTE: for “Main movie” only, you need to do a “Recode Main Movie to DVD”

[​IMG]

Here is the Main Movie only, if you're happy with it, then click NEXT.

[​IMG]

05) "Destination" <--- Hard Disk
    06) "Target Folder" <--- browse to your folder: “My_Final_Recode_DVD” and VIDEO_TS that you created earlier,
    then click on "BURN"<---this process takes any where from 12 mins – 35 mins
    (depending on how fast is your computer and or if you’re going to use “Advanced Analysis, + HQSR + Assign Best Quality to Main Movie")

[​IMG]

**NOTE: if you want better quality, then [check/tick] on either “Advanced Analysis”
    (this will encode in 2 passes, but will improve the quality)<---I highly recommend using this,
    or “High Quality Mode [slow recoding], then click on “BURN”

07) Now the first pass of Advanced Analysis is in progress.

[​IMG]

08) Now it’s processing the second part, which is Encoding.

[​IMG]

09) Presto…it’s done, just click NO because you don’t want to save the log file.

[​IMG]

**NOTE: once Nero Recode 2 completed the Encoding process, you'll have at least like 25 – 45 VIDEO_TS
    small folders inside your My_Final_Recode_DVD folder (depends on how big is the movie),
    and now you’re ready to burn your newly created VIDEO_TS files with Nero Burning Rom.

To burn your Movie or VIDEO_TS files using Nero Burning Rom

01) Open up Nero StartSmart and click on Nero Burning Rom

[​IMG]

02) now click DVD-Video and click on NEW

[​IMG]

03) now Drag them by pressing “Ctrl + A” and put it in VIDEO_TS folder on the left.

[​IMG]

04) once you have everything, now let’s get ready to burn them.

[​IMG]

05) now let’s set the burning speed.

[​IMG]

06) sit back and relax while Nero Burning Rom is burning.

[​IMG]

07) finally it’s successfully completed…that’s it… easy as smoking!!

[​IMG]

08) since you have the transcoded dvd files inside your My_Final_Recode_DVD already,
    now you can go to your MyNewBackup_DVD, and VIDEO_TS folder
    and delete all of them files because you won’t need them anymore.

Enjoyed it and have fun burning…!!!

Here's how to Book Type using Nero Burning Rom

01) open up Nero StartSmart, then click on Nero Burning Rom
    02) EXIT out the "New Compilation" when it pops up
    03) click on "Chooses A Recorder"
    (it's a small burner icon next to (I) and the arrow down)
    04) click on “Options," then on "Book Type Settings," set to "Automatic"
    and click "OK" - that's it... easy as smoking.
    Now every time when you burn using a DVD+R, DVD+RW or DVD+R DL disc, Nero will “automatically”
    change the Book Type into a DVD-ROM format.

**here are some very useful links & tools to have**
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm (download free DVD Decrypter here.)
    http://www.dvdidle.net/free.htm (download free DVDFab Decrypter here.)
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm (download free DVD Shrink here.)
    http://www.dvd43.com/ (download free DVD43 here.)
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html (download AnyDVD here.)
    http://www.dvdidle.net/dvd-idle-pro.htm (download DVDIdle here.)
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php (download & to check on your DVD burner’s firmware.)
    http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php (DVD Decrypter Book Type Instructions.)
    http://www.k-probe.com/kprobe-bitsetting-booktype.php (Lite-On Book Type Utility Instructions.)
    http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_downloads/e_utility.asp (Lite-On Book Type Utility Program.)
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm (Information about high quality & crap quality media.)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@Alkohol, if anyone cant follow that guide then I think they should stick to RENTING their movies, a good read. Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  3. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Lol.... hummmm it's sad but true. It's pretty easy and simple though.

4. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

I agree with Gwendolin. Great Job!!!

5. swy000

swy000 Member

6. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@swy000

I don't know why your disc looks weird. Just out of curiosity, how big is the original dvd (i.e. how many GB)? Did you happened to take out some "unwanted" subtibles, foreign audio such as Spanish, French, or the English Dolby Digital 2 Channel? I only keep the main English Dolby Digital 5 Channel and English Sub; even if it's a "full disc backup" I'm encoding, it fits perfectly on a custom of 4360MB or sometimes 4400MB on a 4.7GB DVD+R flawlessly. Looks like there may be some settings issues in the piture you provided. So are you saying that you can not even encode/compress the movie you're trying to backup at all? Give me some more details on your problems and I'll try to help you out alright. Seriously, I think it's kind a expensive trying to backup an original dvd using DVD+R DL media, unless the movie is well worth it.

According to my knowledge, yes... you can encode/compress using Nero Recode 2 on any original DVD9 with 7GB - 8GB into a single layer DVD5 (DVD-R and DVD+R 4.7GB) disc easily.

Honestly, I can encode big movies like Batman Begins, Star Wars: Revenge of The Sith, Bewitched, Unleashed: unrated version, The Longest Yard, etc. into a single layer DVD+R 4.7GB flawlessly with awesome quality (epecially I'm using "Advanced Analysis" on Nero Recode 2) and believe me, all of those movies are big like7.2GB or over.

7. swy000

swy000 Member

sure.. i guess the key word u said was "Original DVD-9".
    What i have is the friends season 5 with 25 episodes, all authored into one disc. They only have one sound stream and only english subtitles. Thats why i cant remove anything from it.ive done alot of backing up before and its all worked out.

So, its NOT oringal.. and that why i CANT encode it all. ill tell u wat worked though. I used Dvd Shrink and then DVD2ONE. Making one image, and then shrinking that image again!!! Lost alot of quality.. it was too obvious!!! so technically it worked, but you cant watch it..hehe....
    Your guide is amazing..ive tried it on another dvd-9, worked great!My little kid brother can follow these instructions :p... but its just my DVD i guess. The "Title #" you see are all episodes and there are 25 of them on one DVD.

8. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@swy000

Yeah, the guide is really simple if you followed it closely. I'm glad you've made another DVD9 successfully using my guide.

Hummm... I see, so you're trying to backup 25 episodes into a DVD-R/+R right? But how big is the files/GB when you inserted into your dvd burner or dvd-rom and click on the properties?

9. swy000

swy000 Member

yup thats true...all the season basically... :)

not too big.. about 6.45GB... an exact picture is here:
    http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/5870/fff9eh.jpg

and if u go back to my post here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/255156#1441648
    and look at the last picture i posted and compare the sizes of the movie files(VTS_##_1.VOB), u will see at least 60MB was killed from each episode, but i guess nero couldnt kill anymore cause it would screw up the quality bigtime!..

10. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

6.45GB shouldn't be any problem at all - Nero Recode should be able to handle that easily. Something is not right. Whant happen when you hit "Next"? Can you try to encode it Episode by Episode, and then have Recode Encode using "Advanced Analysis"? Once you're done with the 25 episodes, just merge/put them in one big VIDEO_TS folder and have Nero Burning Rom burn them. Advanced Analysis will enhances the quality picture sharply -- yes, the results will be awesome, as great as original quality. Hey, give it a shot.

11. swy000

swy000 Member

u got me all excited again.... i know 6.5GB isnt anything..ive done an 8.1GB before :s... but anyways..lets give this another shot..im gonna try wat ur saying..guide me o' knowing one... lol

ok
    so, here is the pic when i click next
    http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/9225/ccc7uw.jpg

when u say lets encode them each at a time..how do i go about doing that?.. and the advanced analysis??

EDIT: to make this faster, i made an image of the dvd on my harddisk for faster reading... im using alcohol 120 and ive loaded the CD on a virtual drive...reads about 6 times faster :D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  12. Bigfatboy

Bigfatboy Regular member

wow what a great guide, thanks for the time you spent on it alkohol! I like the new look of nero. I haven't upgraded yet i still see too many people having probs on other forums.

peace

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  13. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@swy000

Here is a few example with pictures of what I'm going to Encode or compress a movie "Alot Like Love" with Nero Recode 2. For references only.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hummmm.... I'm not sure about you, but nearly 99% of my movies are ripped into the Hard drive using DVD Decrypter. Yes... DVD Decrypter will surpass Alcohol 120 incredibly.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  14. swy000

swy000 Member

well i did the thing over AGAIN..from the top.. here is everything i did... pics and everything....!!!

Pic1
    This is the image i did of the DVD so that i use Alcohol 120 for Reading
    REMOVED IMAGE FOR WEBSITE

Pic2
    This displays the size of the IMAGE on my HD.Same as the DVD.

Pic3
    This shows the image of the dvd and how i loaded in onto alcohol so that i rip the dvd using dvd decrypter.

Pic4
    This shows the VIDEO_TS folder after having been ripped by decrypter

Pic5
    This shows NERO encode bring in the VIDEO_TS folder

Pic6
    This one is STRAIGHT after the movie is streamed in nero encode! I didnt touch anything yet, just snapped it and here it is.
    Your picture showed that it successfully went to the 4400 mark.. mine didnt...

Pic7
    And this is finally after i press Next.

Sorry about all the pics... but thats the only way i can show my work.. i can see wat trouble u guys go through though.. much appreciated... !!
    As you can see, its the dvd i guess... if i have to, ill probably record a movie as well and show u :p... but i think this does it...

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  15. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@swy000

You know what? I'm going to test/try out the movie you're trying to encode right now (Friends Season5) and I'll report back on the results ok. I mean without trying to encode it myself, it's hard for me to say what's the problem in this case. So, in the mean time, try to encode something else and I'll be back to report with the steps and results if it's a successful or not alright.

16. patonyfan

patonyfan Member

alkohol,
    i just wanted to say thank you for this super easy guide!!

I normally use shrink and nero and came a cross a dvd i couldn't do and it was driving me nuts. I had never used Decrypter and thanks to your guide i got through it easily.

Thanks again for a great and easy walk through

17. swy000

swy000 Member

@alkohol

Ok, goodluck..but try and find the cd existing the way i have it. Cause usually season5 comes in about 6 dvd's os something.Try and find it authored with all 25 episodes on 1 cd. I could upload it to u, but it will take a while.

18. JDiett

JDiett Guest

Okay this isn't really on this subject and its a little anal but I was thinking about revamping some of my backed up dvd's with a label of the exact dvd. Example someone scanned a copy of the disc for its image. I am trying to find a place I can download the image and use it on my label. Anyone know of a place I can find these kind of images? Want to upgrade my backups. Thanks

19. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

I would strongly advise against compressing this movie. You can probably pull it off by setting the output to DVD9. Then manually compress everything as low as it goes. Then when it finished, load up the new VIDEO_TS and repeat until it finishes.

There might also be a problem with the GOPs. You may have to manually recompress the movie with an external encoder using a GOP like BBIBBPBBPBBPBBPBBP (or 1I 5P & 2B) and setting the bitrate to about 900kbps video.

20. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@JaguarGod

I agree with you. On the other hand, I don't know why he (swy000) can not encode/compress the dvd -- it's only 6.45GB, so that is kind of strange.

@swy000

Where did you get your copy (the Friends dvd)? I can't find the Friends Season 5, but I was able to get Friends Volume 3 that has 5 episodes plus some extras that runs over 160 minutes with 7.34GB, and I was able to rip and encoded flawlessly.