1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbies: simple guide 'How to back up a movie'

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by alkohol, Nov 12, 2005.

1. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@z3n

You shouldn't be getting any "unsynchronized" errors at all when using either DVD Decrypter to rip the movie via Mode, File F or DVDFAB Decrypter to rip the movie into hard drive first. Once that process is completed, then just follow the mini guide above and you should be fine.

I've just did another tested on a new backup earlier today for my brother with the same method as provided above and it went through smoothly. So I can't tell you why you're getting errors. Worst case senario is to uninstall DVD Decrypter, DVDFAB Decrypter and VobBlanker and reinstall them back on and try it again.

By the way, did you have DVD Decrypter settings set to what I have on the very first page in prior to the ripping part? Try that and give it another shot. If DVD Decrypter failed, then try to rip it with DVDFAB Decrypter and just "BLANK" those "PGCs", then "PROCESS" as mentioned from the mini guide and you'll be fine.

2. z3n

z3n Member

Sorry to bother you again, I've tried to uninstall and install DVD Decrypter again, followed the exact settings, but it still doesn't work. I've noticed however, when I ran DVD Decrypter, right about VTS_08 there were many "Pack header not found"s, is that the cause of the problem? If I was to use DVDFab Decrypter, is there certain settings I should do? Thanks alkohol

3. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

At what Mode did you ripped with DVD Decrypter? I recommend using Mode, File F to rip. Yes, you can rip it with DVDFAB Decrypter and use the mini guide on VobBlanker to "blank out" PGC 2, PGC 3, PGC 4, and PGC 5" then click PROCESS. And no.... there's no special settings in DVDFAB Decrypter, just rip it. and open up VobBlanker, then follow the guide process. Let me know what's the results.

4. Pooch1624

Pooch1624 Member

alkohol or anyone- When i am using nero burning rom to burn VIDEO_TS files to a disc, there is no option in the top left corner to switch to DVD. All it gives me is the CD option. I have Nero 6.6.0.18 so if u could help that would be great. Thanks

5. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

If no option for dvd then nero didnt detect a dvd burner. Thus ya dont have a dvd burner in ya comp only a cd writer.:>

6. Pooch1624

Pooch1624 Member

ozzy- then can i download a dvd burner or do i have to buy one?

7. z3n

z3n Member

I've finally got "Madagascar" BACKED-UP using DVDFab Decrypter & Nero. MY GAWD. I must've put a good 10 hrs into it. Thanks for everything alkohol. Happy Holidays man!

*sent alkohol a bottle of Henny* =)

8. Pooch1624

Pooch1624 Member

mmmmmm i dont know if that ad is for me but i dont know what it is. anyways i dont have a dvd burner on my computer apparently so i need to get one and would like the best and cheapest(perhaps free) way to get one. thanks

9. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@z3n

You're welcome, glad I could help. It only took me less than an hr to have a successfully working backup of "Madagascar".

Happy Holidays!!

10. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@Pooch1624

Are you serious? You need to buy a dvd burner and in order for you to properly backup dvds, you need to have at least one dvd burner and another dvd-rom drive will be useful.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  11. Bcriptic

Bcriptic Guest

What version Nero has the Recode???
    Or where can I snag a copy of it???

My Nero doesn't have it... :eek:{

12. mattp9989

mattp9989 Member

Great Guide Alkohol!! After numerous attempst with other guides I think I am this close to burning!! So right at the end I am stuck. You see I cant seem to change my burner to book type DVD-Rom. I have burned a disc succesfully but the problem is that my stand alone dvdplayer reads this as files and doesnt load like a true dvd. I am assuming that if i change the book type then all will be well? I have a new Dell system (cant afford custom made!!) with a dvd burner that they call
    HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B. Does this identify the type of burner I have? Can you help with how to change the book type? I truly appreciate it!!!

13. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@mattp9989

You'll need to burn with a high quality DVD+R (Yuden, Maxell (mij) or Verbatim) in order for your burner (or Nero) to have a successfully "book typed" into DVD-ROM. You can not use any DVD-R or DVD-RW and have Nero or your drive book typed, it won't work that way. With "bitsettings" or "book typing" DVD+R into DVD-ROM, any/all functional standalone dvd players should be able to read/play the backup easily.

Honestly, I really don't know how you managed to have a successfully burned, but your standalone dvd player read it as files and not as dvd? I guess you could try to burn with a DVD+R media on your next burn and hopefully it'll book type into DVD-ROM.

According, to "club.cdreaks.com" it shows that your burner is an OEM LG, but unfortunately LG doesn't have any "firmware" to support the drive. So your best bet is head to "dell support" and ask them if there is any current "firmware" to update on your burner.

However, I do believe that your dvd burner (HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B) does support "book type" automatically, once you're using a DVD+R to burn. Go here http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=155355 and here (Dell forum) http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_cdrom&message.id=109223

Good luck!!

14. tempdvd

tempdvd Member

Hi Alkohol,

I just follow exactly these steps to rip my DVD with DVD Decrypter. When I try to use Nero Recode 2 to import the file, it just pop up this msg, do you know what I am doing wrong? thanks.

MSG: Nero Recode 2 encountered an error and cannot continue. An internal erro occurred. A VOBU address is out of bounds. This may be caused by an in valid DVD navigation structure.

15. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@tempdvd

What movie are you trying to encode/transcode with Nero Recode 2 (or that you were having trouble)? At what Mode did you have DVD Decrypter ripped/decrypted? I recommend using Mode, File F to rip into the hard drive first.

Keep in mind that some of the newer movies (such as Madagascar, The Brothers Grimm, Stealth, Sky High, Valaint, The Great Raid, ect.) had the current Macrovision RipGuard and Sony's ARccOS, so you'll need VobBlanker to process and filter out thost bad/protected sectors. Once VobBlanker is done you can import into Nero Recode 2 and continue on using the guide.

Let me know what movie you're having trouble with and I'll see what I can do to help out alright.

16. tempdvd

tempdvd Member

All the setting I have make just exactly what showes on your guide.

It's The Matrix, I am ripping the first disc of the 10 DVDs boxset.

Thanks a lot!

17. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

You shouldn't have any problems ripping Matrix at all.

18. GJVath

GJVath Guest

Thanks for teh Great guide alkohol

19. J66

J66 Member

Alkohol, your guides are great, just one question regarding VobBlanker with the newer discs: After ripping with Decrypter, can you just "process/filter" through VobBlanker then use Shrink/Recode? Or are there some times when you have to "blank" specific PGC's? I see people just "processing" and others "blanking", so I was hoping that you could set me straight. By the way VobBlanker is amazing for editing out trailers and "junks" like you stated. Saves mucho space...Thank you...

20. J66

J66 Member

Alkohol, Oh yeah, are there any things when using VobBlanker to save space that I should be REALLY careful about editing out of original discs that could affect the final backup? Thanks again...