1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newly chipped PS2 won't play backups.

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by thegers, Oct 11, 2004.

1. thegers

thegers Member

Hi....my son's PS2 (v9) was chipped at the weekend (Duo 2 chip).

I've used my Sony DRU-500A CD-RW to burn a couple of back up discs using DVD Decrypter - ISO Read, then ISO Write, burned at 1x. The discs used for both games (Formula one 2001 and Timestoppers 2) were Ritek GO4s and didn't work. I also tried a Bulkpaq (Princo) to burn Formula one 2001.

In all cases the PS2 came up with a Disc Read Error message. The PS2 works fine with original media. This is my first attempt to backup PS2 games and I'm wondering where to go from here.....back to the chipper?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

2. WEStar

WEStar Active member

did you test backups at the chipper after he chipped it? that way you would've known that the mod is working fine. I'd say take it back to him and tell him to try running backups there (if he has any) at least that way if his backups run you'll know you're doing something wrong.

3. thegers

thegers Member

Many thanks WEStar.

No, I didn't test backups at the chipper. I think I'll follow your advice and ask him to check it over. Thanks again.

4. ozzy1

ozzy1 Regular member

I think formula1 2001 is a cd game and if you bugned to go4 well thats a dvd. It will say on the disc weather it is a cd or dvd.

5. InDeutsch

InDeutsch Member

I have the same chip and it does only boot DVD-Rs and no CDs even no original PS1 games

6. thegers

thegers Member

Thanks ozzy....here in the UK it is defo a DVD - DVD Decrypter would have alerted me if it was not.

Danke InD....I did use DVD-Rs.

Now a twist in the tale....I've downloaded a trial version of Alcohol 120%. Guess what....it burnt a backup of a PS2 DVD perfectly first time:) I've the latest version of DVD Decrypter so I'm still wondering what the problem was with that programme.

Thanks again guys.