1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newly modded flip top case only gives disc read errors

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by CVenom, Jan 16, 2007.

1. CVenom

CVenom Member

I just installed my new fliptop case and all I get is disc read errors, I tried changing out the white spindle hub, but to no avail. I also tried re-angling the laser, still no luck. I'm wondering if maybe it's defective and pressing down on the disc too much or something, cause when I put the original laser cover back on and make sorta a ghetto-rigged flip top, it works fine. Of course I can't very well have my ps2 open all the time. Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

most flip tops are made pretty cheaply, so i have heard of several problems with them.
    The first one i experienced when i bought one a few years ago, mine would only work if i took out all the screws from the bottom. When i tightened them up then it would stop reading discs, so you may want to try loosening them a little at a time to see if that helps.

another i heard was people who needed a small amount of weight on the top to press it down a little, like a paperback book or something.

Just a few idea to try. If it loads games without the fliptop then do not fool around with your laser, because that is not the problem.

3. NooobFTW

NooobFTW Guest

I have the SAME PROBLEM.

i just installed my flip top cover and i cant run any game or even swap magic.

Im getting this error|" Disk read error"(even on original games :/).

Can someone help me?

4. steimy

steimy Active member

did you try the above yet?

5. NooobFTW

NooobFTW Guest

Not yet , i'll give a try later.

Tell me first , should i remove the dvd drive's cover?

6. CVenom

CVenom Member

I got it to work part of the time by messing around with the tightness of the screws, just have to find the right balance now to make it work all the time

7. CVenom

CVenom Member

Meh, it's still rather finicky after 2+ hours of messing around with screw configurations. I think I'm just gonna RMA mine and hope the next one doesn't have the same defect.

8. NooobFTW

NooobFTW Guest

yeah! it works!

Still i dont have a backup , but i tested swap magic(dvd) with one of my originals and worked fine.

I have 2 questions:
    What does the cd version?
    and
    Is it safe to leave the console without the screws?(i've only 4 but not "tight"..Yes , that means that the cover floats...)

Forget the 2nd question i fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2007
  9. steimy

steimy Active member

well, i have my screws on my V7 out all the way, so yes it is safe.
    and yes, with an aftermarket flip top you remove the top CD cover inside the PS2.

The CD Swap Magic is for loading CD based games, there are not very many of them, but just in case you do get one.

10. NooobFTW

NooobFTW Guest

Cool thanks.

Im going to get some dvds tomorrow(DVD-R creation will do?,because my SONY dvdRW accepts only -R dvds, and some +R i think verbatim or something) and i'll post again.

I tried to play one of my PSX backup(s) but swap magic returns this error "Invalid ps2 disk"(even on cd version of swap magic) with blue letters.
    Is there any problem with the disks ? or its normal? or its because my backups are old?(the one i tested was FF7 so it must be 6-7 years old or so...it works on my psx(the old model- i dont know the version ,but i bought it in 1997 , and it was Christmas i think) if that matters)

edit:
    I just searched on google , and i found this:
    So , i guess its normal..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  11. steimy

steimy Active member

check up on it, swap magic may not play PS1 games at all.
    It may only be for CD based PS2 games

12. ballers

ballers Member

You can boot up psx games by cogswap.First download cogswap and burn it to cd.Then use swap magic cd to boot cogswap.Then you you will see the disc pic is blu.press eject button.then the disc does not have color. then put in original psx game then press eject button. It reads it and then stop the disc id black now. take the original psx game out.dont press eject. then replace it w/ the backup psx game then press x button. it will load the psx.Play.