1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newsgroup: Giganews&NewsFileGrabber! Speed is horrible.

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by tsukia, May 24, 2007.

1. tsukia

tsukia Member

Hello, I used newsgroup back then with my ISP as the usenet and I was able to download fine (downloading non-stop at 1meg/s)

Today, I've finally decided to try and pay for a full usenet service and I opted for Giganews. I also went with NewsFileGrabber (tried 3-4 other programs too).

My problem is the speed at which I am downloading is seriously disgusting! I am supposed to have a max of 10 connection with Giganews and the speed I download at isn't even constant. It'll download 1-2 files every 10 seconds going from 200 to 700 kb/s. Sometimes it'll download 6-7 files fast. It's heavily spiky or lagged.

I just don't know what is wrong. My internet cost me 70$ per month, my DL is capped at 1meg and ul at 100 k/s. I don't have torrents opened at the same time or any kind of firewall (XP SP2) except my router which is a D-link 604.

Seems like there isn't anything port-related for newsgroup, could that be? I've read on giganews that it used port 119 to access ''account''. Well, I've tried configurating my router and it did nothing. Also, I tried checking if that same port 119 was opened and it was always closed. As for News File Grabber, I tried checking for support and it doesn't mention anywhere things about ports.

Anyway, just to give you an idea, in 1hr I've only downloaded 143megs out of 3g. With utorrent, I can easily cap my limit, 1 meg, on private trackers. Newsgroup aren't torrents I know but Newsgroup is supposed to be much faster (like it was back then).

What I am doing wrong? Is it a port problem? That's the only thing I can think of but this is really bugging me since I've paid 25$ for nothing good so far..

Btw, I tried Giganews speed thing to their usenet and it was flawless (in 2 secs).

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member