1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newsgroup help

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by philly37, Mar 25, 2007.

1. philly37

philly37 Regular member

Anyone download from news groups? Ive been trying to research and came across this
    http://www.usenet.com/index.htm

is this a good place to subscribe to? What are the more popular newsgroups. I did a google search and different guides say download different things

also found this
    http://www.news.astraweb.com/

Any help will be much appreciated

2. missing30

missing30 Member

Hey ya philly,
    Yeah, i'm a newsgroup junky. my service is Giganews. I have the silver level of contract wich is 25gigs for 12.99 a month,looking around the price is not the best, but the 100 days retention on binaries is the best available. I use GrabIt as my newsreader. And a whole butt-load of nzb websites for locating what i'm looking for.
    If you go with ASTRaWeb i'd be interested in hearing about your d/l speeds and the # of connections.

3. philly37

philly37 Regular member

Hey missing 30 thanks for the reply. I actually joined the giganews and love it its soo much faster. I got the 25 gigs per month with the ssl encryption. The grabit cant enable the ssl encryption so im using the newsbinpro. Which nzb website do you use to search

4. missing30

missing30 Member

my main nzb website is NZBMatrix. Very good site.
    The second choice for nzb's for me is NZBFile.
    You use newsbin pro? how do you like it?

5. philly37

philly37 Regular member

I like it but when it comes to the newsgroup im still a newbie. So its hard for me to judge it. When you download it the trail is for 10 days and since i want to use the ssl encryption and grabit doesnt support that so i kind of have to use it. It cost 25 bucks im in like my 4th or 5th day. Ive been using binsearch.info so ill take a look at the ones you mentioned

6. hoddey

hoddey Regular member

when i download newsgroups i find it's up and down on the speed one second it's 42 then 300 then no speed at all and this is like all the time i have port forward but still no good I'm with newsthunder orange sever with a 6mg download and i use newsrover . thanks

7. missing30

missing30 Member

The fact that you get a connection at all eliminates port forwarding from being an issue. My connection, through Giganews, is a solid 720 KB/s, both on my wired connection and on my wireless G network. It could be your news service, or the app itself. Why dont you try Grabbit and see if your speed is more consistent.