1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newsgroup help?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by nooberguy, Jun 14, 2007.

1. nooberguy

nooberguy Member

I just started using newsgroups and I'm totally lost? My provider is Thundernews. And my client is NewsRover. It's not like bit-torrent were you just punch in the name of a movie or game and bam there it is. I can pretty much never find what I'm looking 4. After I subscribe 2 a newsgroup, I can never post or send any replies 2 a newsgroup. Can't set up a e-mail 4 replies. And all my searches never bring up anything valid, ex: just old messages about what I'm looking 4, that I can't reply 2? Can some1 hold a newbies hand, and explain how this stuff works? I thought I'd be able 2 find 100X more stuff than on torrent not the case so far :(

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I haven't got time to answer all your queries, but I will say that the difference between Usenet and peer to peer is that with peer to peer networks you search for something that you want, and quite often you find it. With usenet, you open up a binary newsgroup, and you see what it has today that you might want. Some days there might not be anything, some days there will. You can see (and get) just what other people have uploaded.

3. mistycat

mistycat Active member

If you haven't, have a look at this site: http://nzbmatrix.com/index.php And bear in mind that whatever you find has to be within your retention rate; don't know what Thundernews provides.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Thundernews advertise "up to" 80 days retention, which would be pretty good if it applies to the groups that you happen to be interested in, and totally irrelevant if it doesn't. My British cable ISP provides a free news server for its customers, and on my 10 megabit service, soon to be upgraded free to 20 Mbit, that's pretty useful, even though the retention is only about 5-6 days on most groups. Still, check in every day and you don't miss anything.