1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newsgroups question

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by jjjj55, Oct 26, 2007.

1. jjjj55

jjjj55 Member

I just started using newsbin with giganews in order to get my 360 games but I'v been having some problems. When I added a new group called alt.binaries.games.xbox360 it says that it has about 800,000 posts. Then I click download 5,000 older posts and when i go to show all posts about 500 total show up after i uncheck compact view. Where are the 5,000 older posts i downloaded. Am I doing something wrong? PLEASE HELP!!

2. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Don't download all those headers. I use Grabit, but I guess Newsbin is similar. I use a nbz index site like http://binsearch.info/ and search for whatever. When I see what I want I check the box next to the post and create a nbz file. Grabit automatically opens it and downloads the files kind of like a torrent. It even extracts them automatically most of the time.

3. jjjj55

jjjj55 Member

I'm sure your method works but I already paid for newsbin and I really want to try to get it to work before I switch to a different method. Also the version of newsbin I have is made for giganews so Im sure its better to use. If anyone knows whats wrong please help me out.

4. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Too bad you already paid, because there was no need to for that. At least they should have tech support to walk you through it. BTW I did try that newsbin pro made for Giganews on a free trial and didn't really like it. Also I think you missed the point that newbin handles nbz files too. You don't have to deal with headers when you have nbz files.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  5. jjjj55

jjjj55 Member

Sorry I'm new to the entire newsgroups world. Where can I find nbz files and how do they work?

6. Memnock

Memnock Active member

You can create a nbz file from the link I posted. Do a search and create one. Basically a nbz is an index file. It tells your reader exactly what posted to grab without sifting the headers your. Also tried to look for posts with par2 files to save you headaches in case they are a few bad rars in the post.

7. jjjj55

jjjj55 Member

I tried using the site you gave me but there doesnt seem to be much to choose from. I tried doing a search for halo 3 and i didnt find anything. Am I searching wrong?

8. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

9. jamsie81

jamsie81 Member

i have newsgroups and use newzbin also. Just type in what you want and click on get message id's then save to desktop then use grabit and save to computer and thats you. After its done just burn as normal.

10. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Change the default search settings to go back 200 days and I like have the using the max of 250 results per page. You also can do an advance search and only search for result from on specific group like alt.binaries.games.xbox360 which would be the main one you'd want to search, but game are posted in other groups as well.

11. jjjj55

jjjj55 Member

thanks for all the replies and sites. I think I got it now.

12. Memnock

Memnock Active member

NP, btw binsearch.info is really the best nbz site IMO, because it goes back 200 days, is pretty fast and best of all it 100% with unlimited searches and nbz.

13. JLF24

JLF24 Regular member

this is the best site... IMO..

www.bintube.com

search for XBOX360 w/ no space in between....

binsearch.info is also a good site....

I use newsbin pro and use my free roadrunner news server and can d/l

a 360 game in about 3 hours...... get about 5.5MB per sec....

check w/ your ISP and see if they have free new servers... a lot of them do...

14. Memnock

Memnock Active member

http://www.bintube.com

Does look good. Heck I may have a new favorite and I've been using binsearch.info for years. Thanks for sharing.

15. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member