1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newsgroups

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by mik06, Apr 13, 2007.

1. mik06

mik06 Member

ok so i am constantly seeing ppl saying to use newsgroups to get games. i usually use bit torrent. so wots the dif and wots the best ones to use. someone was saying use giganews and newsbinpro. but u have to pay and i dont want to incase i get scammed or is it ok. thanks

2. reprazent

reprazent Regular member

Why people use NGs? #1 reason is speed.

I download a DVD9 within an hour and 15mins with a 20mbit connection.

whereas using Bittorrent could take days if not a week to get a game.

paying $10 a month is small price to pay IMO.

3. wabashman

wabashman Active member

i think your a little off with your estimation of the length when using a bittorent. i use blackcats, and i can get a 360 game in about 7-8 hours. which is a lot shorter than your days or week estimation. however, if you use something like demonoid, or isohunt to find the game, then i certianly understand how it could take days or weeks to download the game.

4. mik06

mik06 Member

hmm. yer ive seen that blackcats. so if i decide to use newsgroups which one should i use? usenext?

5. navsav

navsav Regular member

For torrents it all depends on the number of seeds. Ihave been on places like p. bay and it took a week. but when DLing Guitar Hero it had like 300 seeds and took about 1.5hrs!

Seems like the newgroup offerings are a bit thin now.

But I think the great thing about newgroups is - you don't have to worry about share ratio! Plus I believe you are less likely to get targeted by a psp bot and recieve a nasty email from ESA via your isp!

6. wabashman

wabashman Active member

if you do go with blackcats, its a private tracker, so it takes out the risk of that death email from your ISP, plus just make sure to run PG2 and you should be fine.

7. Memnock

Memnock Active member

It's rare that anything will beat newsgroups speed, but it's possible especially bigger name new stuff. Newsgroups offerings are never thin. Over 90% you'll see new stuff is on the news groups before a private tracker like blackcats. If you're broke go with torrents. They're free, but having to keep you ratio up is a pain. If you have some money to spare news groups are well worth it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  8. reprazent

reprazent Regular member

That's exactly why I never use BT for games anymore (hell I rarely use BT at all) on public trackers those bastards hit and run leaving without seeds. Private trackers: oftenly invite only, strict rules and ratio to keep up. 3-4gb isos were still ok to keep 1:1, but 7-8gb would means seeding fullspeed for days for people with an average connextion, leaving your internet crippled.

NG beats BT handsdown and like Memnock says: Newsgroups offerings are never thin. with games people are constantly reposting older games and if not you can easily do a request (don't forget the DVD's and pr0n). NG posting people are lot more friendly and willing to share than those really pesky popup infested Torrentsites.

9. navsav

navsav Regular member

The only reason I said thin was my recent search - just now in fact - is not showing to many 360 games. At least on Newzbin. But of course other times there have beeen tons of games.

But as for Torrents I did get one of theose isp emails from ESA (Entertainment Software Association) for downloading a game from P. Bay. No big deal it was just a warning, but since then I installed safepeer and only use blackcats - so far so good.

10. geoffbob3

geoffbob3 Regular member

just because its not reported on newzbin does not mean its not on newsgroups they just list a fraction of whats on there

11. reprazent

reprazent Regular member

Not sure where you're looking but all the games, firmwares and what not 360 related are posted to: alt.binaries.games.xbox360