1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next year's Windows 10 auto-upgrade is MSFT's worst idea since Vista

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by ireland, Oct 31, 2015.

1. ireland

ireland Active member

Next year's Windows 10 auto-upgrade is MSFT's worst idea since Vista
    Do you want virus outbreaks? Because that's how you get 'em

Comment Microsoft's decision to push out Windows 10 upgrades as automatic Windows Update downloads is one of those ideas that sounded great in a Redmond meeting room, but will cause more problems than it solves.

Right from the get-go Microsoft has made it clear that it is looking for a very fast rollout of Windows 10. The new operating system was offered as a free upgrade for some users – a first for Microsoft – and ever since the launch, Microsoft has been hustling people to upgrade, by fair means or foul.

Earlier this month El Reg's tips inbox hit overload with readers complaining that Windows 10 was downloading itself automatically whether or not the end user had opted in or wanted to install it. For people with suddenly crammed hard drives, this was a huge pain in the backside and it caused a lot of anger.

Nowadays, if you boot up a Windows 7 or 8 system you'll see a variety of popups encouraging you to upgrade – roughly every few days, based on Vulture West's experience. These are annoying but perfectly legitimate advertising.

But deciding to make the upgrade part of the patching cycle is a grave mistake. True, it's only going to be an optional upgrade at the moment, but by early next year the pressure is going to be raised, and anyone who automatically installs recommended security patches will find themselves with a new operating system waiting to start.

And just about everyone installs recommended updates automatically because Microsoft insists on it.

This isn't going to be an issue for companies – IT managers know the score and they will install Windows 10 when they are good and ready (if at all) – and tech-savvy consumers will also be prepared.

But users who don't know much about technology are going to get caught up in Microsoft's upgrade plans, and they aren't going to like it. As Apple found out with U2's freebie album, pushing things on computer users whether they like it or not is a bad idea.

Getting a download from a bunch of fading rockers is one thing, but getting a new operating system is quite another. I've already had a call from an elderly relative asking about this and she's not keen, as she's only just learned how to use Windows 8 in the last few years and doesn't fancy redoing all that.

READ MORE
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/31/windows_10_recommended_upgrade/

Control Windows Update

To verify the current update preferences on Windows 7, do the following:
    1. Tap on the Windows-key.
    2. Type Windows Update and hit enter. This should open the Windows Update interface.
    3. Select "change settings" on the left side.
    4. Uncheck "give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" under "recommended options".
    5. If you want, you may also switch from "install updates automatically (recommended)" to "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" to be on the safe side.
    On Windows 8, you need to do the following instead:
    1. Swipe from the right edge of the screen, click on Settings, then Change PC Settings and finally on Update and recovery.
    2. Select "choose how updates get installed".
    3. Uncheck "give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates".
    4. Optional: Change how updates are delivered under "important updates".
    READ MORE
    http://www.ghacks.net/2015/10/30/be...dows-10-on-even-more-windows-7-and-8-systems/

Attached Files:

2. aldan

aldan Active member

oh christ,really??reprinting articles doesnt make you an authority.sorry my friend but this just doesnt fly with me anymore.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

agreed.

4. ireland

ireland Active member

SO THAT NOW MAKE YOU GUYS EXPERTS ON WINDOWS 10
    I AM SURE THOSE WHO WROTE THE ARTICLES KNOW
    MORE ABOUT WINDOWS 10 THEM ALL THREE OF US TOGETHER .

ITS A FACT I DO NOT LIKE WINDOWS 10 AND A LOT OF PEOPLE AGREE WITH ME

REMEMBER YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ THE ARTICLES
    DDP-IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE ARTICLES
    DELETE THEM

I WILL SHOW YOU SOME REAL FACTS ABOUT WINDOWS 10
    LOOK AT THE PICTURE AND THATS WHY MICROSOFT IS JUMPING ON WIN-7-8,1 USERS
    AS MOST DO NOT WANT 10

LINK FOR THE PICTURE
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-xp-wont-going-away-anytime-soon/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  5. aldan

aldan Active member

my posts here notwithstanding, i can write pretty well, truth or fiction. i havent talked to one win7 or 8 user that was being pressured to upgrade this way.myself, i have had not one single problem with win10. im of the opinion that a lot of the problems people have with windows 10 are self inflicted by screwing around with something they know nothing about. not dissing you at all ireland, but i would be remiss if i didnt give you my opinion once in awhile. by the way, why on earth would you link an article to a dead operating system? i hung on to xp longer than some, but in the end, i moved on.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

I still have customers who still use xp for home use but 1 of them decided to do the upgrade to win7 which means a new used tower with dual core cpu. he uses ie8 on xp but needs a higher ie because of youtube for his 5yr old son.

7. aldan

aldan Active member

yeah,i hear you there.upgraded to win7 on my old pentium d single core and it was less than impressive.not any worse than xp,but not good.my daughters pc has a e2140 and it runs 10 like a champ.