1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nic card help

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by bmx3283, Mar 12, 2007.

1. bmx3283

bmx3283 Member

i have 2 network cards in and i want to know how to make the signal pass through so i can be on the web on both things.. is there somthing im missing and this need a networking forum. thanks

2. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

If you're running Windows XP, and both NIC's are installed correctly, then in your Control Panel/Network Connections/, then you should see two Local Area Connections. To use both of them, just run a cable to each one to your router/switch/hub.

Also, make sure they are both enabled. Sometimes when two are installed XP disables one. Right-click on whatever one is disabled, you will see an "enable" option in the drop-down menu.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  3. bmx3283

bmx3283 Member

not quite wat i was looking for i want to put one line in and one to my xbox so both can have internet thanks tho

4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

I think you're looking to use the Internet Connection Service...

5. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

Well then just get a cheap hub or switch and run a cable to the computer and to the xbox.

6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Actually, that would require a router...switches/hubs are connected to routers to connect more PCs/peripherals. :)

and if I may correct myself, ...it's Internet Connection Sharing (not Service)...that you are looking to use. Make sure the service is running, and run the network setup wizard. It will have an option in there to use the computer as the source for the internet for other devices to use.

This page is a tad confusing...but I hope it helps.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  7. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

An XBox isn't a peripheral? I don't have one, but I figured it had an internal nic.

And switches/hubs don't have to be connected to routers, you can connect hub to your cable modem and provide connectivity for as many peripherals as you have ports.

8. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Far as I know...there's got to be a router in there somewhere. Even if it's built into the modem. Switches/Hubs do not supply IP addresses...without that, there wouldn't be any connection. That's what routers do for more than one internet connection.

Yes....XBox's do have an NIC port.

9. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

If XBox's have a NIC port, then it would work.

You're right, there has to be a router (or layer 3 device) in there somewhere to assign IP addresses, and there is. The cable modem (or whatever) connects to a router owned by the ISP. A switch or hub would just ask the ISP router for 2 IP assignments instead of 1.

It works the same way if you have a router at your house, it just assigns IP's like 192.168.x.x because it uses NAT to translate between the ISP-router assigned address into the local addresses assigned by your home router.

All he needs is a switch, which in some cases can be just as much as a basic router /w wireless. So this argument is pointless.

10. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

I'm with you on this one....I typically trust hard wired networks over using a shared internet connection.

But....he wants to run his XBox thru the main machine for access. I've never done this myself, but I think he needs to run the wizard and set up the main machine for Internet Connection Sharing.