1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Night Mode / Infra Red

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by BigOliR, Jan 21, 2005.

1. BigOliR

BigOliR Member

I want to get a new digital camcorder, that is going to work well in the dark. Someone told me that only Sony's have IR so they can only work in the pitch black. Is this true?

I have been looking at the Sony DCR-HC30/40 and the Canon MVX200i/250i. The Canon has "Super Night Mode" but does it work in the dark?

Also, whats a good quality camera generally? Looking to spend about £350.

2. woody_223

woody_223 Member

i have the hc30 and it is a great little thing, i bought the canon mv6i first and setn it back due to poor battery time (30 mins) and so awkward to use

the sony has lots of extra available like the big batterys (7 hrs) at 2 for £30 on ebay and various uv lenses and wide angles ect. it is also touch screen and very easy to use so you can concentrate on the video shooting

the night vision is ok as an extra, fun to play with but is dosnt have much range, like 10 - 15 foot and the colour dosnt show up as well as in light conditions, wich is understandable as ir is only one hue. but it does work in pitch black conditions

hope this helps