1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nintendo 64 on the Nintendo Gamecube

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by BeachSurf, Apr 9, 2006.

1. shadow82

shadow82 Member

That Star Fox 64 file should be a multigame disc with other 64 games on it. There's no way its just star fox 64 and being that big. If it is just starfox 64, I would delete it and download the proper multigame disc.

I know for my cube, multi 64 games work just like any other game, pick then play. Yep, you just burn it as usual like any other gamecube iso.

From what I know and seen what has said many places, the cube can't run 64 games because of compatibility, nothing else. The XBOX is different because its like a PC or is I should say, so it should emulate like a PC if not better.

2. DigDC89

DigDC89 Member

Thanks alot. Any info on how to burn a regular GC iso file? I have Verbatim DVD-R 16x DVDs, and was wondering what i should do to properly burn an iso. ive currently tried nero at 16x and 4x (finalize, DAO, no multisession) and imgburn at 16x (DAO, not sure about finalize and no multisession), but they all result in a black screen of death (does the GC logo thing, goes to black screen like its loading a game, then freezes up), resulting in me having to turn the cube off. my POT is currently set around 170

3. shadow82

shadow82 Member

What chip do you have and bios your using?. I use a program "CopyToDVD" myself which I have found to be flawless in burns. Its always 50/50 with Nero and I just don't trust IMGburn even though its highly rated. When your burning 16x media, always burn at 12x. This has been stated many times at the CDfreaks forum.

4. DigDC89

DigDC89 Member

my chip is XenoGC, no bells and whistles, just import and backup loading of games... not sure about the whole BIOS situation, i thought that only the Viper (and various other chips) have BIOS upgrades n stuff... other then that, i will give CopyToDVD a try

Edit: I just burned Geist with CopyToDVD and it loads up perfectly! (idk how the gameplay will be yet, but atleast it loads) Thank you so much shadow, now ill have to see if SSBM will work, or if it is a bad rip. Thanks again, and only 18 DVDs got ruined, lol.

5. shadow82

shadow82 Member

I believe the XenoGC doesn't have a bios upgrade but I can't remember, someone correct me. I use CopyToDVD to burn everything except audio because its really slow, I swear by this program. Thats a bugger you wasted 18 DVD's though!!!!

6. DigDC89

DigDC89 Member

Yea it sucks 10 mini's and 8 regular (5 of the mini's were free, the came with my modchip... then i wasted a 19th one figuring out if the iso was bad (thanks to your program working with the others), and then a 20th today with Action Replay, i get a DRE with that one... but its all good... I got a 50 pack of Verbatim 16x DVDs for $15, on sale from $40... so the money i saved easily paid for the wasted DVD's. Thanks again Shadow

7. The_Twist

The_Twist Member

Honestly, I don't see the point of this. Many PCs can emulate ROMs anyways, and it's alot easier. If not then the N64 is only $20 preowned now in most places and the games are pretty cheap. If not, then I saw something on EBay once that was an N64 like cartridge that had an adapted that hooked USB style. You then were able to transfer any N64 ROM files to this thing (I think the one I was looking at had 250 Megabytes) and the cartridge was able to play them in the N64 (I suppose the cartridge can read the ROMs itself). My point, I think that anyone who is trying to deal with this on the Gamecube is putting themselves through more of a hassle then the thing is worth

8. DigDC89

DigDC89 Member

yea it could be a hassle, but its fun... the fact of the matter is, your getting a game from one console and playing it on another console (and Xbox doesnt count, thats a PC, lol)... i can just imagine what my face looked like when i booted Star Fox 64 up on my gamecube, that being one of my favorite games on the 64. ROMs and Emulators are weird though... using a keyboard/mouse for controls, instead of the way they should be played, with a controller in your hand, and they dont always work (so ive read anyway)... some boot a game flawlessly, others boot them with a low framerate... it just all depends if your a console man or a PC man...

9. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

There's a HUGE difference between sitting in front of your computer playing Mario 64, and sitting in front of your television playing it. No matter how nice a computer is, sitting in front of it NEVER feels really comfortable to me. And judging by the number of emulators for consoles out there, i'm not the only one who feels that way.

10. DigDC89

DigDC89 Member

speaking of emulators for consoles... how do you burn a GC disc with 64 games on it? do you just download the 64 ROMs and burn them with an emulator (using the GCM Utility to add the garbage data) or is it something special?

11. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

Well you said you have a Xeno GC. So do I. You can't use multi-game disks. So you'll just have one N64 game per dvd. Which isn't THAT big of a deal, playing Mario 64 is worth one DVD. It's not like they cost a fortune. If you still have that Star Fox 64 iso, i'd burn that.

http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?n...addetails&lid=1671&ttitle=N64_emu_v2.0_for_GC
    There's a link to the N64 emulator for GC. The instructions will be in the .nfo file that comes with it.

Hope that helps.

12. DigDC89

DigDC89 Member

yea, i already burned, played, and beat Star Fox 64... i havent played it in such a long time, it felt so good... and thanks for the link, ill check it out now...

13. DigDC89

DigDC89 Member

ok... i downloaded the files, and the necessary program to change the info in it... but now what? do i need to use a program to wipe the .ISO to the correct size (1.35GB) or do i burn the small 60.8MB file to a DVD?

14. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

15. DigDC89

DigDC89 Member

i dont know if this is suppose to happen... but everytime i load Wiped GCM Fixer, a black box appears and disappears in a second... i looked at all of the readmes and nothing had info on what to do.. is there something in the .exe that i need to edit (like a filename to pad, etc) or am i missing something?

EDIT: quick question... what about the N64 save files? since its being played on a GC, are they saved on the memory card as usual, or arent they used? (because i read somewhere that when the games are emulated there arent save files, i dont know if thats for a computer or console though)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  16. Nelson419

Nelson419 Guest

Why can't you have multi game discs with N64 with XENO GC? Since you can do it with SNES and NES games. I have all SNES games on one disc and all NES games on one disc and I can play them with XENO.

17. DigDC89

DigDC89 Member

ok... well ill give multi game discs a shot, but how do i burn the iso? i know i have to wipe the iso file, but the program flashes for like a second and thats it... as for the NES/SNES games, how do you get them to load? the same as N64 games?

again, what about save files, do they work/exist?

18. DigDC89

DigDC89 Member

ok... i renamed the N64 .iso's to .gcm (which is not recognized on my computer)... doudle clicked on it, and when the 'select app' dialog came up i browsed for the wiper... idk if thats what your suppose to do, but it seems to be working.. i see a new file, thats slowly getting bigger and bigger...

still curious about NES/SNES ROMs and save files though, lol...

EDIT: while running the padding tool, i also noticed that the file became larger then 1.35GB, is this normal?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  19. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

No. It isn't. You're supposed to run the tool using a dos prompt. To pad your image to 1.35 your command would be ..... "fstfix yourimagenamehere.gcm -f" .

If you want to know more about emulators then check this out this place. http://modthatcube.pxn-os.org/
    Tehskeen has all the info you need in it's "Xeno GC" section to figure out how to get everything to work with your Xeno GC.

20. DigDC89

DigDC89 Member

ok, i got the 64 roms working (i think, all im workin on is padding so far, havent gotten to the burning part yet)... since 64 games have to be 1 game to a disc (so ive heard anyway), ill skip them and go on to NES/SNES games... i downloaded the SNES emulator for GC from the link you gave me, but how do i make an iso (or dol, or w/e it is) with multiple games on it? the instructions tell you how to make one, and i cant even do that (cant find sgxi.exe when i open the command prompt)... any suggestions? i appreciate all the help guys, thanks