1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NMIndexStoreSvr.exe has encountered a problem

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Shonga, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Helter99

Helter99 Member

H Seldon, can I refer you to my post just above your own. Although renaming the .exe file stops the process from starting up your computer will try to start it up on every boot up. It's best to remove the line in the system registry that tries to start this process as well as renaming it.
    I did not have to do anything else since by removing the NMIndex... process there was no process to fail or hog system resources.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  2. dhbrown

dhbrown Member

Is it just me, or does it seem to anyone else that using the "sc" (service control) command to remove services is safer (and thus potentially better and more reliable) than hacking the registry directly?

For an example of even software developers having trouble with whacking at the registry, read this.

If you like the idea of using a command specifically designed for controlling services rather than the registry, check earlier in this thread for the commands to use...

3. Jemborg

Jemborg Member

Why all the complexity, as I said, magic1362's advice, previous page, works fine.

Disable the service, I've had no problems.Using Nero 8 btw.

4. H_Seldon

H_Seldon Member

Yeah Helter99 I tried your suggestion at that registry key location. I went there before and after I renamed the file in the Common Files folder.
    There was no registry key referring to Nero there.

I also don't 'see' any problems running Nero Showtime and I'm not getting any errors, since renaming the .exe file to a .bak file.

I guess the mystery now is why I have no registry key at the location you describe and why I don't 'see' Nero trying to start up the .exe (now a .bak) file.

I am running XP Pro.

5. Helter99

Helter99 Member

H Seldon.
    This is just a theory but perhaps you managed to disable the NMIndex... service somehow and this removed the startup registry key before you renamed it. I agree it is odd that the key does not show in there.

Jemborg
    Because there more than one way to skin a cat. Glad to hear Nero 8 works well btw. I havent tried Nero 8 myself since I encountered this problem (I found alternative products instead). Maybe someone at Ahead sat up and took notice. Hope their support team took notice too eh ;)

dhbrown
    Yes, sc is a good way to access services directly. Another way, if you are uncomfortable with the command line interface, would be to run services.msc which gives you a GUI to work with. A running service should be stopped before it is disabled or its registry key removed. It should indeed be noted that registry hacking is potentially dangerous to your computers health.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  6. Jemborg

Jemborg Member

It's good that people have taken the time and trouble to contribute to this thread. however, they seem to to be failing to read or they misunderstand the previous posts.

I had enormous problems with Nero 8- which I just use for Nero Vision, for burning I use the reliable ImgBurn program (freeware). So Nero didn't fix the problem.

Here is magic1362's advice reproduced in it's simplicity:

"Hi.
    Just go Start>>Run and run services.msc.
    Then stop & disable NMIndexingService."

You do this in the same way you you disable Windows bloatware "Indexing Services" and use the efficient freeware Agent Ransack instead.

Cheers.

7. skhobotu

skhobotu Member

Thanks guys,
    This has been a big help!!

8. 7horeau

7horeau Member

Whats the point in reopening it????

Because there is useful and needed information here. You're NOT the only person on this planet believe it or not. There are other worlds beside yours.

9. Jemborg

Jemborg Member

Hear hear 7horeau. That comment came straight after the best advice/solution in the thread too.

But ZOMG !!! Nero 9 is doing it again !!! WTF!

What do Nero hope to achieve by this? Anyway this ensures that is probably not the last time this "pointless" thread is referred to again. LOL.

10. 7horeau

7horeau Member

LOL! Nero is generating a lot of forum traffic if nothing else...LOL!

I went to control panel, clicked administrative tools, then clicked services, scrolled down to NMIndexingService, and disabled NMIndexingService by right clicking on it and selecting "properties" after properties opened I clicked on "stop" and "apply" to stop it, and then clicked on disabled in the startup type window don't forget to hit the "apply" button after each action and when closing the window.
    Since then NMIndexStope has been sleeping peacefully and quiet.
    Please excuse the extra text, I was hoping it might help a newbie with the details.
    Thanks to AfterDawn and its members for helping me find out how to stop the NMIndexStore.

11. Jemborg

Jemborg Member

Haha, even better, it involves no typing at all that one, excellent. :D

As I stated above you might want to try disabling Windows' bloatware "Indexing Services" as well and use the efficient freeware "Agent Ransack" instead. Same method.

That comes from the bullcrap free:

http://kadaitcha.cx/performance.html for XP

http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/ad_hoc/faq/performance.html for Vista

Yes, AD is an informed site...glad I found it.

12. H_Seldon

H_Seldon Member

Yes, it is good we have the help here. I don't have this annoying popup anymore, but I wonder if this Mindex business is causing another annoying issue.
    Anyone else have this problem and think it might be related?

Everytime I try to start Nero Showtime for the first time after a reboot, it takes f o r e v e r, until finally Showtime launches the file.
    Afterwards, Showtime launches files normally.
    But when I restart the computer, again - the same thing happens the first time I try to run Showtime.

Is it possible that Nero is preparing to launch its loathsome Mindex file? (This happened before I renamed it and rid myself of the popups, so that is not what is causing it.)

13. Jemborg

Jemborg Member

Best to follow the simple advice given above and disable rather than just go renaming files, as this can cause the sort of complications you're experiencing.

I gave up using Showtime myself anyway- as there are better, less buggy, more comprehensive alternatives out there to use. Most of which are freeware.

14. 7horeau

7horeau Member

Thanks Jemborg, now I have the M$ indexing service turned off also.

15. gordon_S

gordon_S Member

Nov 2005 to April 2009 and this rotten program is still rearing its miserable head.
    As you can guess I had this problem today without any warning of any sort.
    I havent used Nero for at least 6 weeks for anything and I cannot work out why this problem occured today.
    Like many others I deleted it before I decided to do a 'Google' and found this forum.
    I 'restored' the program from the Recycle bin and then followed instructions from one of the suggestions to disable it.
    Now I have to see if I can burn with Nero after that.
    I have had some difficulties with Nero over the last 12 months after loading it from 'Bundled' CD's. At the moment I can (or Could) burn a DVD but not a CD. Nero burns 4 seconds of track One,Finalises the CD and thats it.Fortunately with the advent of SDcards and FlashDrives the CD problem isnt of great concern.
    This is a great Forum and I am very pleased to have found it.
    Thank you all.

16. H_Seldon

H_Seldon Member

I'm beginning to think I've wasted alot of money. I'm wondering what is free, is less buggy and can EDIT AVI, MPG, and DIVX files without hassle.