1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No advance settings tab

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by noypi2, Apr 22, 2005.

1. noypi2

noypi2 Member

I am tying to capture old vhs tapes but too many drop frames
    is happening. I read in an article that you have to set your IDE devices to DMA or enable DMA from device manager>Primary and secondary IDE should be DMA enabled.
    But my xp does not have "advance settings" tab.

Any idea?
    I appreciate your prompt replies.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

In XP the Drive should be set to the Highest DMA setting the Drive Supports By Default ...

Frame Drops can be Caused brom a Number of Things...If captureing to a Compressed Format Like Mpeg-1/2 or Divx/XviD then Frame Dropps are usually caused from your PC not being Fast enough to Compress all of the Frames in Real time....

When Captureing to a Low Compression AVI format or to Uncompressed AVI then you will allmost allways need to Capture to a second Hardrive than the One your OS and Programs are Installed on , This is because Most drives are not fast enough to Write Such large Volumes of Data to a drive that it also has to Read from at the Same Time so Captureing to a seperate Drive it the Only way to get arround this problem....

I have a 200gb Drive as My Main Drive and I have a seperate 120gb SATA drive just for Video Capture which you should also have if you are Captureing to a Low Compression AVI format...

If your Frame Drops are Happening when captureing to a Compressed Format Like "Mpeg-1/2 then it is Most Likely because your CPU isn"t fast enough to Compress to that Format in real Time so i would Suggest that you Capture to a Lower Resolution or maybe Try Different Capture software that doesn"t use as Much CPU to Compress Video.....

Cheers

3. pfh

pfh Guest

In Device Mangler select and expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS".
    Then select Primary or Secondary IDE Channels. Right click and select properties. A window should pop up with the advanced tab at the top.

Plus- I second what Minion said, very good advice.