1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No audio in mpeg

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by MoonMan12, Jan 24, 2005.

1. MoonMan12

MoonMan12 Member

First off, I want to start by saying this site has been a tremendous help to me with all my video conversion problems. I have only been converting video for two months now and until yesterday have had no problems thanks to your guides. Then I hit a brick wall. I have converted an .avi to .mpeg as I have been, but when I checked the .mpeg before burning, I realized there was no audio. After re-checking the guides here, I saw that the only thing I had done "incorrectly" was used the NTSC template instead of PAL. According to the info received from AVICodec, my video was 25.0fps and therefore should have been ouput as PAL. Now I have a 3.6G .mpg, a 510,000kb .mp2, and a 3.1G vlc.m2v file in my output folder after demultiplexing. My question is this: do I now re-encode my .avi to .mpg with the PAL format and start over, or is there some way to salvage the work that I've done already? Any help would be appreciated, and I apologize for my long-windedness.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Again, you convert an AVI to DVD! Whaich quality do you suppose to obtain? Garbage IN = garbage out! You cannot claim to have a DVD-quality (4.5 GB movie) from a 700-900 MB AVI!
    Going back to your question, we live in freedom and if you want to do that you can do it.
    We suppose you used our guide (AVI to DVD). Alas, in step 4 of our guide you obtain a .M2V (video) file plus a .WAV file (audio, of course). Nopw you're saying that the audio is mising.
    In which sense? On step http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd_page_5.cfm, you add the MP2 sound when you author the DVDm with IFOedit.

It seems, from your file listing, that the sound stream is mising. Alas, TMPGenc cannot decode the .AC3 audio (if it was in the AVI) if you don't have a proper plugin installed and the stream cannot be done by it (did you read my 'sticky' audio thread? "Audio problem if AVI -> MPG" is equal to AVI -> M2V). You can do it quickly with VirtualDubMod (extract the audio) + BeSweet + its GUI (profile: create a MP2 for DVD). Reading it you can easily learn how to extract the sound from an AVI movie (using either VirtuaDubMod or Virtualdub) and how to to convert it to MP2. just ignore the extensions: VirtualDub will extract a 'fake WAV' file even if the sound is AC3.

3. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

ReStream can change the framerate of your file without re-encoding http://shh.sysh.de/

but as aldaco said, if your avi has compressed sound i.e mp3/ac3(which it most probably has) then you'll have to convert the audio to wav and re-encode the avi with the wav as your audio source because tmpgenc doesnt like compressed audio, theres no other way around it.

goodluck

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

OK, Mick69. Well, actually TMPGenc has an AC3/ACM plugin that enables it to use compressed audio. But I never used it, I prefere to make my audio conversions, first (SSRC, TooLame, BeSweet; few tenths of minutes) and to use LATER (at night) TMPGenc (hours).

5. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

thats true, i forgot about that one

you can get that plug-in here moonman http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/AC3ACM/AC3ACM.zip

also aldaco, if you dont want to use tmpgencs own built in audio converter, you can actually use something like toolame as tmpgencs audio converter, just goto enviromental setting>>audio engine and load up the toolame .exe as the external program to encode your audio to mp2, that'll save you from having to convert audio first b4 encoding anyway.

cheerz

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Yes, I agree. For this reason I use BeSweet, first. THEN I load the perfectly encoded / resampled if needed (thanks for the suggestion to use BeSweet simply by checking a box, Mick69) audio with TMPGenc ('audio input').