1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Audio - TMPGenc + DVDLAB

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by fishhead, Feb 20, 2004.

1. fishhead

fishhead Member

I'm having problems getting the audio to work right in DVDLAB.

I am using TMPGENC's wizard for DVD NTSC conversion, and loading an MPEG1 to convert, hitting next until the end, where i select output folder and then tell it to split into elementary streams.

I get a .M2V file and a .mp2 file.

I open up DVDLAB and import the 2 files, then drag the .M2V into the little movieclip area, and then the .Mp2 into the small sound bar underneath the movieclip. I link the movieclip to the main menu with text. I hit compile, and everything seems to be okay...and finishes without erros. yet, When i test the movie I get no Audio.

Am i doing something wrong in TMPGENC or DVDLAB? or both?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Have you listened to the audio File before authoring it to DVD??? There Might not be any Sound in the Mp2 file .. Try Demuxing the Mpeg1 source file and useing a Audio encoder Like "Headac3he" to Resample the Mp2 file to a 48000hz Mp2 file and then use that you author the DVD...You Might not have had to re-encode the Mpeg1 file to create the DVD because the DVD Standard Supports mpeg1 files at 352+240/288 Pal, so if your Mpeg file has this resolution you can simply use that instead of re-encodeung the File because re-encodeing will just ruin the quality...Cheers

3. fishhead

fishhead Member

Yeah, I listened to the file...strange thing, the dvd plays in my computer with sound...and then plays on my xbox with sound, but plays with my settop with no sound. I usually use my settop dvd player as a reference but i guess that's a bad idea.

I guess if anyone else has this problem, check another player.

Thanks again Minion for your tireless support, you really are an Afterdawn addict! If only i could get support like this for things I pay for!!!!

4. slowburn9

slowburn9 Member

having the same problem here:
    - created the m2v video file and an mp2 sound file, each of which are tested and fine
    - built a little menu and stuff in dvdlab
    - added the video and sound to movie1
    - compiled the DVD

the DVD plays fine with sound on the computer (PowerDVD) but doesn't play any sound on the regular Yamaha DVD Player.
    I'm running out of ideas...

5. fishhead

fishhead Member

1) Depending on what dvdplayer you have, certain programs may be better for compiling. There a few other DVD making programs...like TMPGENC-DVD, and DVD architect and such, check out afterdawn's software tab

2) If you have a game system (xbox or ps2) i'd try to see if the audio works in that, I use my Xbox to play my authored dvds...its sort of annoying but its better than buying a new DVD player.

3)If your DVD Player is a higher end player with alot of settings, check the audio settings on the dvdplayer itself, it may have an option or two that you can enable or disable that may change the way it works with audio from the DVD disc.

4) Last but not least....Try different DVD-R media, or even dvd+R (although that seems to be less compatible) some media has better compatibilty than other. For some reason Memorex doesn't work on my Toshiba, but Ritek does.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the Truth is that MP2 audio is Not DVD Compliant for NTSC DVD"s so this Might also be the Reason why it isn"t working...Mpeg1 Layer 2 audio is only NTSC DVD Compliant if there is also a Wav or AC3 audio Track Present also..I have never heard of anyone haveing this Problem before But it is a Possibility that your DVD Player sticks Strictly to the DVD Standards....Cheers

7. fishhead

fishhead Member

TMPGenc creates an MP2 file if I follow the NTSC wizard...I assumed it was fully compatible. Is there any way to make TMPGenc create an "elementary stream" that isn't a MP2?

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the Only other Option in tmpgenc is to use LPCM/Wav audio But this is a Bad Idea Because LPCM/Wav audio is Uncompressed audio so it takes up Huge ammounts of Disk Space ,Up to 10 times the Space on the DVD as Mp2 audio does..The only other thing I can suggest is to try to find yourself a Dolby Digital AC3 encoder of which there aren"t many and the ones there are are very expensive...The one I use comes with Vegas Video 4/DVD architect which is like a $700 Software Package..The new "Ulead DVD workshop 2.0" has a Built in AC3 encoder and it is a Pretty awesome authoring Program also..There is One on the Market that is Freeware called Besweet But I have never been able to get useable Files out of it and there is one that is so old that it might as well be Freeware called "Soft encode" but it like many other AC3 encoders will only accept Mono wav files and you need a Mono Wav file for each Chanell of the AC3 file...There is also an AC3 encoder Plugin for "Tmpgenc DVD author" that will encode your Source Audio Files to AC3 and I think it is only like $29...I have never actually heard of a DVD Player not Playing a DVD Because it had Mp2 audio ...Well Good Luck

9. Street

Street Member

I've been having this problem of TMPGEN not recognizing audio--even though I have at least 5 valid encoders at any given time that can handle the audio format in question.

I've heard for months--maybe years that it's something I'm doing wrong, something I'm not understanding or some setup I haven't got correct.
    Bottom line:
    There are just a ton of apps from Ulead, to Pinnacle to Cyberlink, to CCE, to Nero, to Adobe Premier, to Sony Vegas Video, to Canopus, to MainConcept, to Womble. Lame, Roxio,Microsoft is in there, let's not forget VirtualDub, hell I'll even throw in Flaskmpeg--well the list goes on forever--of encoder/decoders that don't seem to be barfing on vaalid audio in Valid AVIS's.

It's true that you can decompress the AVI (not a long process but results in a huge file to work with) and TMPGENc will run like a champ. But that's an extras step and another stroll away from lossless encoding.

Don't get me wrong however. I'm a HUGE fan of TMPGENc and have been for ages. It blows away many more mainstream commercial offerings at a fraction of their price. If you use it's built in tweaks and features it's seldom necessary to pull out the big guns of an expensive app like Adobe Premiere to get very reasonable results for serious amateur--non commercial endeavors. TMPGENc is probably the Encoder I have used more than any other over the last several years

But this one thing gets, well, kind of tedious.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2004
  10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Decompressing the Audio is a Lossless Proscess, There is No Quality loss when you decompress the audio and generally speaking Tmpgenc only Dislikes VBR Mp3 and AC3 audio of Which the AC3 audio can be decoded in Tmpgenc by Installing this:
    AC3ACM Decompressor
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/AC3ACM/AC3ACM.zip
    But if Makeing a DVD the AC3 audio should be demuxed and used in the DVD as Opposed to being Decoded..And VBR Audio is Not supposed to be used in AVI Files because the AVI Container Format Likes to have a Constant Data Packet size to it can correctly read the Audio Time stamps and that is why Tmpgenc doesn"t like it and that is why there can be Sync Problems after decompressing VBR Mp3 audio in AVI files...
    And I don"t see what the Differance is in working with a 700mb Compressed audio file or a 1.5gb uncompressed audio file unless you are Hurting for Disk Space...I personally Don"t hardly ever use Tmpgenc for Encodeing as I find it Slow and a Bit Buggy at times and I get Better Mpeg2 Quality useing AVISynth with CCE SP 2.67 and My own Matrix which allows me to get amazeing Quality useing extremely Low Bitrates ,Like imagine encodeing to a Standard Full D1 DVD useing an average Bitrate Lower than the SVCD Standard Bitrate and have the Quality be that of a File with twice the Bitrate , But my Method is Too complicated for most Poeple to use so I usually recomend an easier method..I also Encode My audio seperately than My Video because No standalone encoders will encode to Dolby Digital AC3 which I prefer in my DVD"s over other Audio Formats so I use Vegas Video 4 to encode the audio to AC3, sometimes adding some audio filters to clean up the Audio a Bit cuz with downloaded movies the audio Quality isn"t allways the best...well anyways Have a Good one...Cheers

11. Street

Street Member

Minion,
    I can't disagree with anything your say--even correcting me about decompressing the sound as being non-lossless.
    Thanks for the AC3ACM link. I believe I've tried it in the past without any effect but I'll give it another shot--just because I do use TMPGENc so much....

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

To use the AC3 Decompressor you have to put the "Direct Show File Reader" on say -1 and put the "AVI VFW Compatibility Reader" to the Top of the List Like at +1 and then Try it and it should work no problem well it works for me...Cheers

13. Street

Street Member

BTW Minion,
    How do you like Vegas Video since Sony took over from Sonic Foundry--I'm hearing a lot of complaints from old time users but I'm not sure if they are just objecting from a philosophical perspective because they see Sony as too tightly allied with Big Corporate (RIAA) initiatives and therefore at odds with everything about filesharing and consumers creating their own DVD's from commercial sources.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2004
  14. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well On the Software side of it Vegas Video 4 works just the same as when Sonic Foundry was selling Vegas Video 4, It seems Like the exact Same Piece of Software, however with Sound Forge I have Noticed it to Be a Little More Buggy than the Version that Sonic Foundry released but not enough for me to complain about it...If you have Had any problems I would Like to hear about them ...Cheers

15. fishhead

fishhead Member

well, its me again

I did the TMPGenc convert of MPG to "elementary streams". then i opened up the .mp2 into vegas, and rendered to AC3.

Then I put the Mv2 & the AC3 in DVDLAB, making all the appropriate linkages.

I compile the disk...but no audio....not from my computer dvd player, my standalone dvd player, my xbox...nothing.

am i forgetting a step?

When i just use the mp2 file, my computer and Xbox play it fine, and the only problem i have is with my standalone dvd player not playing the sound.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2004
  16. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I don"t have a Clue what could be wrong as I use Vegas 4 to Make all of my audio files for every DVD I have ever created...Did you Listen to the AC3 file after you created it??? and when you Loaded the Mp2 audio into Vegas did the Audio Have a Waveform when it was on the Timeline or was it just a Straight Line??

17. Street

Street Member

"did the Audio Have a Waveform when it was on the Timeline or was it just a Straight Line??"

Sound more like it's Flatlined. :) My money's on a corrupt codec.