1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Audio Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by 13bats, Feb 12, 2007.

1. 13bats

13bats Member

Good Day!!!
    I am trying to help my father-in-law try and srot out an audio issue on his Dell. It is running XP and has no audio. THe speakers are powered, green light and all; they are plugged into the jack on the back (green to green) and the Device Manager shows everything seems to be running correctly. The sound, as far as I can tell is on the motherboard, no separate soundcard.

So some symptoms:
    1. The audio device shows as a Unimodem, which struck me as odd
    2. I tried running on of the system audio sounds and I get:
    "Windows cannot play the sound %SystemRoot%\media\WindowsXpError.wav. Your sound card may be in use"
    3.A window came up and said something along the line of 'Sante Fe...has not been used...' ?!?!?

It sound like drivers, or the wrong devices delineated as the sound card, but I am not very savvy as to what to do after the basics, I mean real basic...So, any direction would be great, even if it means going out and getting a new sound card.

Cheers!!
    Jordan

2. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

elo there yer im sure its the driver if u tell me what dell he has got i will find the drivers

3. 13bats

13bats Member

Thanks I will. I just need to get back to my in-laws house to get the model of te Dell.

4. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

Hello mate did u get the moble of your inlaws dell