1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NO BEEP, NO DISPLAY, however............

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by nesh02, Jul 20, 2007.

1. nesh02

nesh02 Guest

another headache. o.k, this what has happened. i was using my pc, and suddenly the monitor went off. damn. i then saw, the hdd light was continuously on, the power light was also on. everything else was on, the cpu fan was on even the graphic card fan was ok. i tried restarting and as expected it did not start, not even a single beep and no bios. i tried swaping rams, even taking it totally, also taking out the graphic card entirely, not even a single beep. there is a another light, that is situated beside the hdd and the power light, have a padlock like kinda figure which is not on at all. also my primary dvd-rom's light is on all the time. HOWEVER the weird thing that happens is that, if i plug out primary dvd-rom ide cable from the rom, all lights goes off but the padlock kinda light turns on. even if it is pulled out from the mobo. my monitor also works fine. i need help ASAP. what could have gone wrong? i tried seeking help on various forums, but none worked, i need to know definitely went wrong before i change any hardware. hmmm.......
    any help is really appreciated
    my specs are as follows
    mobo: gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G
    hdd: 80gb SATA wd
    dvd-rom: ASUS
    graphic: 8x ATI radeon, not sure what model
    ram: kingston ddr-400, 512 mb X2 runs on dual slot
    processor: p4 3.0ghz

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Are there any LEDs on the motherboard inside the PC? What colour are they, or do they show any patterns?

3. nesh02

nesh02 Guest

not LEDs on the motherboard but the one connected to the ATX tower casing. the hdd is orange, the padlock one is red while to power light is yellow, i dunno whether i mixed up the LEDs when i installed it 3 years ago, but i think i'm right.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've never seen a padlock icon on the front of a cased before, do you know what it means? Is it a custom build or did it originate as an off-the-shelf PC?

5. nesh02

nesh02 Guest

i don't know, the casing is an original hp vectra casing of p3. i upgraded the pc to p4 3 years ago. any idea what might have gone wrong, i think it is my mobo, but i'm not sure. anyways, how is it possible 4 me to transfer my files from my hd to another hd for backup, because i'm afraid it might ask of admin password, can you at least tell me how i can transfer my hd files into my backup hd.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well if you've got another PC, you can take the hard drive out and plug it into that one, and then copy the files across, or just keep using the hard drive until the other PC's repaired.

7. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

mabey its an open case warning.

Mabey try switching PSUs

8. nesh02

nesh02 Guest

yeah wanted to try switching the psu, and i have not connected the open case stuff, in fact i turned it off in the bios as well.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

perhaps, but why did it not illuminate when nesh first tried changing components? Case intrusion warnings are likely on PCs like that, but they should at least POST.

10. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

i am not saying thats the problem, i just think thats what the light is.

have you looked over the motherboard for anything that looks strange?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

But why has it only come on now?

12. nesh02

nesh02 Guest

well sammorris, i am afraid that it might not allow me to access the o/s drive (usually c drive). because i tried that with my lappy hd on my desktop pc some time ago, and it is said something like administrator restricted. that is why i asked.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, I can't see why that should be a problem. Try it and see what happens. Just make sure if it's an IDE drive that you set the jumpers right. If it was the only drive in that PC, it'll be set as master, if you're putting it into a PC as a second hard disk, you'll want it to be a slave.