1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NO blue l.e.d. on mod-ps2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by FiG22x, Mar 24, 2003.

1. FiG22x

FiG22x Member

Hi,

I bought a pre-mod ps2 with Magic 3 inside. It was working fine for lil over 3months, until yesterday I was playin GTA3 and it just froze. And i went to restart the ps2 and no blue l.e.d. lite came on?? I can start up the ps2 with the switch then pressing the green button, but i can't eject, or even start GTA3 which is still stuck in there. I can hear the ps2 turn on but i don't think the cd-rom is working now. PLease help asap!

If anyone has any information on my problem please email me at fig_22_78@hotmail.com

Thanks,
    Billy
    email: fig_22_78@hotmail.com

2. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

U may want to check the ribbon that connects to the switch. Did your machine take a bang or did u move it or anything like that?

3. FiG22x

FiG22x Member

No i didn't drop it or anything, and i opend it and checked the wires, i didn't see anything un-usual. Anymore ideas?

4. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

It really sounds like the ribbon to the switch. Try unplugging both end and plug it back in. I had a situation like that before where there was a short in the ribbon. while I had it powered up, sometimes both LED lights work, sometimes one, sometimes none. Sometimes both the switch works, sometimes one, sometimes none; but it was definily the ribbon.
    Check the ribbon for short with a tester (prefferable one with sounding continuity test).

5. FiG22x

FiG22x Member

I tried taking both ends of the ribbon cable out and putting them back and nothing. I also noticed that if the i turn the ps2 off with the switch, and turn it back on with the switch, the ps2 is in standby... then i press the "non-working" eject button it will turn on, but the blue light will not work nor will it eject. Any other ideas?

6. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

What changes u noticed? Are you saying the eject botton turns the machine on now? Did/does the green eject light come on at all?

-Try searching the length of the ribbon for any damages.

-Try using a tester to check for shorts in the ribbon.

Your problem really sounds like that ribbon. If u have another ps2 or a friend who is willing u could borrow the ribbon from that ps2 just to see if the problem is the ribbon.

7. FlyBy

FlyBy Guest

I had the same exact symptoms. Turned out that the DVD drive broke. I ended up buying my friends from him.

8. FiG22x

FiG22x Member

No changes. The eject button always turned the machine on,just doesn't eject. And yes the green reset button works and also turns on the ps2. if i hold down the green reset button it will put the ps2 into standby. I'll try and get a ribon from a friend, but it won't be soon.

9. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

If it's not that ribbon, then u just examine (by viewing) a more narrow brown ribbon that connects to the drives motor at the side. If the problem is not with either of these ribbon, then sorry man, i'm out of ideas.
    There is a white release latch under the drive, so u can get out your disc. Still keep me up to date with your problem.

10. FiG22x

FiG22x Member

Thanks for all your help man I really appreciate it. Since my problem I have made three contacts, two that are offering to fix the problem they say it's a blown fuse on the mainboard, and the last contact says he's willing to give me $120 in credit at his store for the broken PS2. He only sells messiah pre-mods for $310. THose are my options so far. if it's cheap to repair then i am, if not i'll go get the messiah premod. Thanks again...