1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No codecs in virtualdubmod???

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by SCSS, Apr 24, 2005.

1. SCSS

SCSS Member

I recently installed the Ace Mega Codec Pack v6.03 (I had 5.91 before) and after installing I checked Virtualdubmod and I was missing all the codecs! The list was completely blank! So I quickly uninstalled 6.03 and re-installed 5.91, but the list stayed blank? Whats going on? Ive already scanned for viruses and spyware in hope that it would find something...

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If you want to avoid problems like this I would suggest that you stop installing codec packs. You could try a system restore.

3. stardust

stardust Regular member

celtic_d is correct. Uninstall the codec pack. You are still missing codecs which came with Windows, so try as above told. Then clean all debris from registry e.g. with RegCleaner. After that, install individual codecs you only need.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  4. SCSS

SCSS Member

So I'm absolutely screwed and theres nothing I can do to fix this witout doing a system restore? Keeping in mind that I can still play all my xvid/divx, and any other avis that need those codecs with Media Player Classic...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Media Player Classic uses directshow. VirtualDub uses VfW.

Actually now that I think about it, it is probably as simple as deleting the empty vidc entries in your registry. Could also try installing one of Koepi's XviD builds as the installer runs a check.

Still I stand by my warning about codec packs.

6. SCSS

SCSS Member

So what keys do I have to empty exactly? I'm ready to try just about anything without having to resort to System Restore. Oh and I use Nic's build for XviD. I find it simpler to use than Koepi's.

7. SCSS

SCSS Member

I have found the problem, but I need your help to fix it! I checked the vidc.xxxx entries in the registry and they point to C:\program files\ace mega codec pack\whatever.dll BUT upon examining a program called Avi Codecs, it shows that those entries point to an invalid location, mainly: C:\windows\system32\C:\program files\ace mega codec pack\whatever.dll Without moving all the dlls and re-doing all the registry entries, how can i fix this?

8. SCSS

SCSS Member

Ive got a question now: how come the drivers have to be in the system32 directory? I tried putting them in a subdir and it would not recognize them, but once I got the registry cleaned up and moved them into system32, it works fine...