1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No copy protection on 40GB DVD

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by n704fn, Mar 14, 2014.

1. n704fn

n704fn Newbie

I know, a DVD cant hold 40GB. I have a DVD from my Grandfathers funeral that I would like to archive in case anything were to happen to the original. It plays fine on the computer/TV. The trouble is, Im unable to rip it or even to copy files from it to a hard drive. Im no stranger to copying DVDs, but I have not seen this before. DVD Decrypter is showing no file protection, and Explorer is showing 99 VOB files at 420MB each. Can anyone explain to me whats going on here? I know I can't post links as a new user, but there's an image here if it helps images.shnard.com/hugeDVD.PNG

2. attar

attar Senior member

I can't offer much except have you tried Any DVD with DVD Shrink?

http://new.videohelp.com/tools/AnyDVD

The Star Trek movie had one of those 99 title deals.
    I got around it by playing the DVD using MPC and noting the Title number that played back (it was Title 21).

[​IMG]

I then opened the disk with DVD Shrink and used Re-author mode to rip Title 21 to a new folder - which also removed the protection.

Failing that you can always use a Desktop Recorder to get a copy.

Also consider posting at the VideoHelp site.
    http://forum.videohelp.com/

3. n704fn

n704fn Newbie

Thanks for the tip about finding the correct title. DVD Shrink errored out while trying to open it. Opened with Handbrake and after scanning all 99 titles, it had found the correct one and I was able to rip it to disk easily.