1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NO desktop! what happened?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Hardball, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Hardball

Hardball Regular member

i dont know if it is a virus or something but i did download a file onto my desktop. it started slowing my computer down so much that i deleted that file. my computer was still running very slow so i decided scan for a virus after i did that i turned off my computer and when i turn it back on i have no desktop icons. i booted safe mode and tried restoring my last working settings but no luck. i been trying for the last couple of hours. can someone help me Plz.. i would really appreciate this thanks?

2. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Are you running XP or Vista? If running XP, you can do a quick reformat but pressing F10/F12(not sure which one) at BIOS screen. Now, you will have to reinstall programs, but it will not delete any stored files. I guess you could use this as a last resort. Other than that, check your registry and see if the uninstalled program is still lingering around, just b/c it's unistalled doesn't mean it's gone. That could possibly be causing it also.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

is everything but your desktop icons fine? If so why not just make new one's? It is quite easy. Like for "my computer" click start then right click on the "my computer icon there and choose the option that says show on desktop. And for other programs you can right click on the EXE file you use to load it and choose "create shortcut" then just drag the shortcut to your desktop.

4. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

have u tried task manager->new task->explorer.exe

5. Hardball

Hardball Regular member

what is the task manager? and how do i get there if i do not have any desktop icons or even a windows start bar. the only thing i can see once i log in is my wallpaper with nothing on it. i just wanna reinstall the desktops and the windows taskbar. thanks

6. Obike

Obike Member

you get to task manager by pressing ctrl alt and del at the same time when you have logged in. A box will appear click the Task manager button. If you click the processes tab across the top you can see what processes are running. Click on cpu this will organise it so you can see which processes are using the most cpu resources you can then right click on the process and end that process.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

8. Hardball

Hardball Regular member

okay sorry if im a pain but i tried to run my task manager and a box pops up saying that Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator
    what do i do now? it just seems like every time you guys help it gets worse lol. i appreciate the help but whats going on? am i getting Hacked or maybe its a virus how do i get rid of this so that i can get into my task manager and restore my desktops? thanks

9. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

yep, thats a virus... if taskmanager is disabled, then I would highly recommend running a virus scan from whatever scanner you have installed.

10. Hardball

Hardball Regular member

is that a CD that i must get. cause from the looks of the way my computer looks it doesnt look like if i put anything on there that it will open any programs.

11. Hardball

Hardball Regular member

cause theres no desktop. but i appreciate the help man

12. steimy

steimy Active member

you can get an antivirus on disc i suppose and try running it. Or even get a friend to get you a few like Adaware SE, Spybot searck & destroy and put them on a CD for you and you can try running them from there. How you will start them without being able to access the My Computer section of your PC may be a problem though.

Did you try the start menu shortcut i posted? Did it do nothing?

You could try reseting the admin password so you can get into it.
    1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your XP CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)

2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”

3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now

5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.

6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”

Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.

7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.

8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”

9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.

10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.

11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.

12. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After you’ve made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).

13. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized settings should remain intact.

13. Hardball

Hardball Regular member

okay i did a system restore and my desktops and windows toolbar is back up and running also my task manager is running. thanks! i have also installed a antivirus software and updated my computer. since it was a virus that disabled my task manager and desktop icons and windows toolbar is that virus still installed somewhere on the computer or is it completely gone? thanks once again!

14. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

no, it should be gone.

15. Hardball

Hardball Regular member

aight man i really appreciate your time for helping me man and being patience. this helps a whole lot! Thanks again!

16. steimy

steimy Active member

A great free antivirus program with real time protection is called Avast. They update it all the time and it is what i use currently. Every bit as good as any one i have paid for in th past like Macafee.

17. Goking

Goking Guest

I have the same problem, but the thing is i don't have a windows xp cd to reformat and restore my computer. Can someone please tell me what I'm supposed to do?

I can't buy another windows xp cd but they don't sell it anymore and I would go and buy a windows vista but my computer is pretty old and it won't be able to run it.

18. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

hmm, try booting into safe mode and try a system restore?

19. Goking

Goking Guest

^ how do i do that and is there any way to reformat without having xp disc?