1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no disc error

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by afew2many, Mar 28, 2004.

1. afew2many

afew2many Guest

thanks to all in this site from a newbie just learning. i'm backing up my dvd collection and am using dvd decrypter to rip and burn a dvd under 4.3 gb. but when i try to play it on my xbox, dvd player, or pc using powerdvd, they all say no disc. someone help please.

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

ummm im thinking maybe your players dont support the format of the media your using,ie. -or+ r.You didnt state what kind your using the -r is a little bit more compatible because it plays in older player and most all new players.
    ok i just reread your post and you said it didnt play in your powerdvd,opps i dont think what ive stated above is your problem then.
    it could be a cheap brand of media(just a guess)
    good luck
    jim

_
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!!
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.
    read and sign this:http://www.petitiononline.com/fairuse/petition.html[/small]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2004
  3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Give us some details of your procedure!
    You should be using Decrypter in the ISO mode if your disc is a DVD 5. Are you using any guides?
    Open Decrypter, select Mode> ISO> ISO R. Select your sorce then select a destination and then let Decrypter do it's thing.
    Once that is completed, change the Mode to ISO W, find your folder and burn.

4. afew2many

afew2many Guest

i'm using maxell dvd+r and i've gotten it to work on my dvd player using dvd shrink, burning with dvd decrypter is giving me this problem

5. afew2many

afew2many Guest

i used the guide from here. first i read the dvd then i changed the mode to write and burned at 2x speed, it completes the job and says successful, but none of my players can read it.

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Im not saying this is your problem,but maxell isnt the best media for burning dvd's.I suggest ritek or verbatim,(too bad i didnt find this out till after i bought a whole slew of tdk's):(

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I need to know how you burned your successful copys using Shrink.

Shrink can use Decrypter or Nero to do the burn. After Shrink encodes, one of these programs is utilized to burn the copy, depending on the settings made in Shrink. Shrink by itself cannot burn.
    If you are using a Shrink/Decrypter combination for your successful burns, then you should be able to manually do the same thing using Decrypter only.

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi jim, Im thinkin that his media is probably OK because he has gotten successful burns with it.
    It sounds like hes ending up with a non DVD Video compliant copy when he trys to use Decrypter alone.

The easy answer is to just let Shrink and whatever burning program he is using with it to process his DVD-5s, just as he has been doing with the DVD-9s.

But Decrypter should work!!

9. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I could never get decrypter to work for me either,when using it to do the whole thing,rip and burn in the iso mode.Is it possible that some players just wont work with discs written this way?(been wanting to ask this question)and you seem like the one to ask.I really havent stressed over this problem since i use nero to burn anyway.decrypter works for me in the file mode tho

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I'm sitting here thinking about what the difference might be between an ISO image created by Shrink and one created by Decrypter. I imagine they should be the same.
    I still don't know if afew2many is using Shrink/Decrypter to burn his DVD-9s.

He couldn't play the copy on the computer using PowerDVD but if he can open the thing in explorer and take a look at what files are present on the disc that might provide us with some clues.

afew2many, can you try that?

11. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi fasfrank
    After you said that a iso written by decrypter,and one written by shrink,should be the same,i got curious.So i dusted off decrypter and gave it another go.Ill be darned,it worked.i must have been burning the wrong file in my early stages of [bold]newbieism[/bold] .(wooo hooo a new A.D. word)So i ditched the thought of using decrypter as a burner and never looked back.Its nice to know that it can be done now.
    thanks for your help frank!
    happy trails
    jim

12. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi again frank
    I answered afew2many in another thread when he asked if he could use shrink for dvd 5's.I told him he could and he responded with this

13. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hmm that last part shouldnt have been quotes

14. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hmm that last part shouldnt have been quotes

15. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

oh no now im stuttering,ok ive done enough damage here,wonder if the wife needs something fixed he he
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!!
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.
    read and sign this:http://www.petitiononline.com/fairuse/petition.html[/small]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2004
  16. afew2many

afew2many Guest

hey, you guys rock!!! i discovered that i am using nero to burn as already preselected. after using shrink on the dvd-5 it worked and i had to jet. thanks for the info on the media jim, glad i only bought a 10-pk. i just got my pc in february, ( dude i got a dell!!!) and am learning the ins and outs of my dvd combo drive. i wish i would have known earlier that shrink was free. i was trying to usa sonic my dvd which sux and then i found this forum which has been soooo extremely helpful, with guides and members both. thanks to all!