1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"NO DISC" message when playing DVD with PC

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Summer99, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Summer99

Summer99 Member

I've copied a VHS video to DVD using an LG RC299H (combined DVD and VHS player/recorder). I burnt to a DVD-R disc (tried two different brands, Philips and Verbatim). The DVD plays fine on the LG DVD-player, but my PC/laptop think the disc is empty. I've tried 3 different laptops, and it's the same with all 3.

The file-format the LG burns to is supposed to be DVD-Video, playable on "any DVD player"...

How can I play this DVD on a PC?

Thanks.

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Check your LG RC299H manual to see how to finalize the disc. Finalization writes the table of contents and the lead-out information that tells a drive how much content is on a disc. At that point no more information can be written on the disc.

Your LG can read/play the disc because it has to be able to add more video if you want to. The other drives cannot play it because the disc is still "open," and only the original drive can close/finalize it.

3. Suba

Suba Regular member

Fro all the posts I red, DVD combo recorders are not exactly DVD compliant.
    One more think you should try, if you have that option, finalize the disk on completion, check the manual for your recorder.
    I just missed previous post, but it say same think

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  4. Summer99

Summer99 Member

Thanks to you both - this was exactly the problem, it works fine now.

I have to say the manual was quite poor on this point; the "finalization" part of burning the DVD was very well hidden.

cheers