1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No DVDs will play on Comp - they crash my players!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by paco2706, Jun 28, 2007.

1. paco2706

paco2706 Member

Hi all. This looks like a nice site, I hope one day my computer will work enough for me to use it :p

I searched for similar problems before posting, and this thread was the closest i could come to describing what's wrong with my DVD player(s).

Not sure where to start, but I simply cannot playback ANY DVD. Actually, i don't think i've tried a burned version, but have tried many many production DVDs. I like to watch at my computer more than my TV, but since my last computer build I have not been able to run any DVD.

Every time I put a DVD into either of my drives (one's just a ROM, the other is a full DVDR/RW, I get the autoplay menu and no matter which choice of player I use, they do one of two things: crash the program and get a windows error message, or in the case of Power DVD (version 5) sometimes it puts up the splash screen and control bar, thinks for a minute, then just 'goes away' like it closed by itself with no error.

I have tried all the fixes in the thread above, including, but not limited to:

Re-installing DVD software (Nero and Power DVD)
    Pulling out my DVD drives and trying each separately as a master by itself at the end of the cable
    fidgeting with video settings

Things my DVD ROM and DVDR/RW drives CAN do:

-install software
    -play games from dvds or just CDs
    -Burn DVD file backups (haven't tried a DVD movie, but backed up files on a DVD then was able to access them again
    -play .mp3 .mpeg .mov .avi etc type files from dvds and CDs

System specs (as my limited knowledge seems to think this is a hardware issue or possibly driver related?)

Intel 6400 dual core processor
    7950GT video card
    1gb RAM
    MB ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe MoBo
    DVDR/RW drive is Sony model DW-Q120A
    DVD ROM is 3-4 years old but played DVDs just fine in my previous build

I'm not sure what information im missing. hopefully I gave someone out there enough to go on and they can help me with this issue. Thanks a lot in advance and now i guess ill go watch this movie on my TV with the volume down so I don't wake the baby...

-Paco

2. JVC

JVC Active member

First thing I'd do, is check to see if there's a firmware upgrade for your drives.
    You can also try this:
    Go into your Device Manager, and find your drive. Right click on it, and choose "Uninstall". After it uninstalls, reboot, and let Windows detect new hardware, and install new a driver for you.
    Good luck!

3. paco2706

paco2706 Member

hmm, thanks for your help, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

I'm looking for firmware updates, and there are several results all pointing to one paget or another that all eventually link to one sony downloads page. That page, unfortunately, ends up with this error:

"We’re sorry, but there is no Sony web page matching your entry" -looks like they removed the download for some firmware file called "PYS3"

next step i guess will be to uninstall the drives and let my computer find new hardware again. I'll report on any results...

thanks again

4. JVC

JVC Active member

It appears that the PYS3 is the latest firmware for your drive.
    If that's not what you have, you may want to try it, if the "uninstall" doesn't work.
    It also appears that your Sony, is a rebadged LiteOn SHW-160P6S.

Two of the three links here(under the 3D fish pic) seem to work:

Good luck!

You'll need to copy and paste the address. Doing it so that it's normally a link, really messed the post up......... sorry.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  5. oldslow

oldslow Member

I'm just guessing but doesn't mean I am wrong. but one thing to look at that i learned in the dvd shrink forum is to see if you drives are running in dma transfer mode.
    start- control pnl- system- hardware- device manager- ide ata/atapi controllers- primary ide channel(right or double click)- properties-advanced settings---- transfer mode should be dma---if not change it. if that doesn't work uninstall primary ide channel, then reboot and it will rebuild itself.
    if your mb has more than one controller these might be in secondary channel. if you can't find your devices then post that problem in a new post, as i can't help you with it. look at my knickname.

6. paco2706

paco2706 Member

Thanks for the advice. I have yet to try the PYS3 that i was able to DL successfully (Thanks JVC!) because I have since toyed around with the placement on my IDE cable and now neither drive is being read by the computer. I will try to switch them back to DVDR/RW on the end (slave) and DVD-ROM in the middle (master) and see if I can at least get back to the system reading both drives and them both reading CDs and game discs.

I did check on my Transfer mode and only my Primary was; the secondary was set to PIO only.

Switched it to DMA - I'll post more results soon.

Thanks so far to all that have read and helped out :)

7. JVC

JVC Active member

The burner drive (DVD-RW) generally likes to be the "Master", and the Rom drive is the "Slave". You could always try them both on "Cable Select" setting.

PIO and DMA modes usually affects the speed the drives work in, with PIO being slow. What else they do and affect, I don't know. Worth a try though. You never know! :eek:)
    Good luck!

8. paco2706

paco2706 Member

oh, bother...

well, I switched them back to original IDE configuration with the DVDR/RW at the end of the cable and the CDROM in the middle, with both jumpers set to "cable select".

my computer boots and now hangs on an error message before windows loads.

the screen looks a little like this:

Auto detecting: Pri Slave IDE Hard Disk
    Auto detecting: Sec Master ATAPI CD-Rom
    Auto detecting: 3rd Master IDE Hard Disk

Pri Maxtor 6y120PO Ultra DMA Mode-6 System Ok
    Sec _0^]-on G_Mb_wlTW-u936qh [Ysq Ultra DMA Mode-2
    3rd WDC WD740GD-00FLCO Ultra DMA Mode-6 System Ok

2ndary Slave Drive ATAPI Incompatible
    Press F1 to resume

Now, in my BIOS, the boot disk is the WD740GD and the slave is my Maxtor. The Raptor is SATA and the Maxtor is on a separate IDE cable by itself. The two CD drives share their own IDE cable.

So, why is there no Primary Master displayed??
    Obviously, something isn't right in how it is reading my DVDR/RW either, calling it that weird name that looks somewhat like Lite-on (but im just guessing now)

My computer does fully boot, but now in windows only one CD ROM drive is "seen" when I look at the hardware profile, and nothing on it plays. I've definately taken a few steps backward since my first post :(

under my computer, it shows a 3.5" floppy "Drive A:" even though I do not have one attached. Not sure if that is pertinent, but thought i'd throw it in there.

Throwing myself on the mercy of the AD community: Can anyone help me at this point?

Dan