1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no longer can burn dvd's

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Linnear, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Linnear

Linnear Member

I have two identical LG burners, GSA H22N, and so long they have worked good. I recently put a fresh install of XP Home. I use Nero 6 Ultra Edition. Both burners are installed on my secondary IDE channel. Last few days, the burn process has been taking longer and longer with alot of burn failures as well. Today is lagged seriously just calling Nero up and couldn't get it to burn successfully at all on either drive.
    I read online to check if the DMA is activated and one of the drives was set to PIO, so I reset this and restarted...but it had no effect, so lagged in burn process and then failed.

Any ideas for me to check? Appreciate any thoughts of this dilemma.

2. bkf

bkf Guest

You have to get them into ultra dma mode. Could be a bad cable, power supply going south or even a motherboard. Off the top of my head I can think of 20 reasons this is happening. Burner drivers is the first thing that comes to mind, the second being your system has some damage. We can work through any question you ask but over the net it could be alot of typing. Burners can be such a pain in the butt at times :)

3. Linnear

Linnear Member

I checked and both units are in ultra dma mode 4. BTW, is it normal for to have two entries for both the primary and secondary IDE channels listed in the device manager? Both of my burners are less than 3 months old, so the drivers should be current, I installed the second one 2 weeks back to take some of the load off the original. So far they have operated fine, just in last few days I noticed that Nero was lagging when I go to pull up Express and it began taking longer to complete the burns.

4. bkf

bkf Guest

Yes that is normal. Did you update nero lately? It's not the most stable program on earth. We can figure it out, I hope you like to type. Let me get some coffee in me. :)

The first question I will ask: What have you installed, updated, Any changes to the system from the point it worked well to your current point. And I mean EVERYTHING!

Having any drive in PIO mode shows data transfer trouble. Not the end of the world.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2007