1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Luck buning

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tomt814, Feb 25, 2005.

1. tomt814

tomt814 Guest

I have dvd x copy express and nero burn. i have a toshiba burner but it doesn't seem to reconize dvdwrite discs. It will copy a cd fine. but when I rub a dvd it reads it to my hard drive but always shops that the drive is empty when I put thr dvd write disc in,
    anyone know why?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

We need the model of your Toshiba burner. Are you sure it burns DVD blanks. Some drives are cd burners but only read dvds for playback.

Jerry

3. brobear

brobear Guest

tomt814
    As Jerry pointed out, any time you discuss hardware, you need to supply the model designation as well as the brand. Otherwise, we don't really know what piece of equipment you're referring to.

4. tomt814

tomt814 Guest

Thanks for getting back to me guys, the model number of the toshiba burner according to my device manager is toshiba DVD-ROM-SD-R5112
    I hope this is a DVD burner, I purchased the coputer at a show and had two dvd drives installed, 1 standard and one burner. It does burn CD's
    Thanks for the help
    Tom

5. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Okay, I'm going out on a limb and guessing here.

When you put in a blank DVD disk, there is nothing on the disk so it will of course not have anything to read. Therefore, the drive can't/won't report any info on the disk. Therefore, the drive reports as empty even though the disk is in.

So without further information, and assuming the drive works in DVD burn mode, it is displaying normal behaviour , right?

What speed dvd-r media are you using? This drive burns at 4x, as I read the specs, and only used MINUS R media. Check your media.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Specifications

Write formats supported.
    DVD: DVD-R, DVD-RW
    CD: CD-R, CD-RW

Read formats.
    DVD: DVD-ROM, DVD-R (Ver 1.0, Ver 2.0), DVD-RW (Ver 1.1).
    CD: CD-DA, CD+(E) G, CD-MIDI, CD-TEXT, CD-ROM, CD-ROM XA, CD-I, CD-I Bridge (Photo-CD, Video-CD), Multi-session CD (Photo CD, CD-Extra, CD-R, CD-RW, Portfolio), CD-RW, CD-R (read)

Write speeds.
    DVD-R: 4X CLV
    DVD-RW: 2X CLV
    CD-R: 16X Z-CLV
    CD-RW: 10X CLV

Read speeds (max).
    DVD-ROM : 12X CAV
    DVD-RAM : 1X CAV
    CD-ROM/R: 40X CAV

It doesn't burn DVD+R media! You double posted for the same reason, except on the other thread you mentioned using DVD+R media!

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/163295

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  7. brobear

brobear Guest

Way to go ScubaBud. tomt814, it's not nice to waste people's time with double posts. That's why the management has a rule against it. Surprised a mod hasn't come along and warned you.

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Actually bilbo65 & LivnDGirl get the credit on that one. I just made sure it was also posted here.

It's always nice to know the cause and cure!

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Yep, also nice to know when we're getting jerked around. ;)

10. tomt814

tomt814 Guest

sorry everyone for double posting, Im new so I didn't feel I give enough info in the suject manner posting to get proper attention.
    Please forgive me I am not trying to be a jerk.

As for the problem, it was the fact that I was using dvd+r's and not the minus r's.
    I purchased the dvd blanks from the same place I brought the computer.
    I guess I would be consided a newbie Big time.

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

tomt814

Thanks for the reply back. :)

Now I take it your burns are working for you since the media change? :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005