1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No luck with Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jacnyr, Nov 18, 2004.

1. jacnyr

jacnyr Member

I have been using DVD X Copy Platinum for sometime, I still have the DVD X Copy Gold. Since the company went under I thought that I would give Shrink a try.
    I have had no luck, I must admitt that X Copy is very easy to use.
    I first used DVD Decrypter and loaded file on virtual drive with Daemon Tools, than encoded with Shrink, then tried to burn with my Roxio 5 software.
    I have tried 3 times and burned 3 coasters.
    I have printed the user guide and followed to the T. Disc were finalized.
    I have just once had success with Shrink when I burned a copy of movie that I had already copied with X Copy.
    I might think the problem is with Roxio; but as I said it did work with making copy of copy.
    Any help on this matter will be greatly appriciated.

jacnyr

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hi jacnyr. You have come to the right place. Ditch that roxio 5 and download the free nero 6 burning software. Roxio and dvd shrink are not a very good match. Many problems. Nero love dvd shrink and that is all i use. You can get a 1 month trial for free. I bought it for my dad on ebay for $10 .Go check out scubapete's dvd shrink guide on the guides forum. Also get some quality dvd media for your backup copies. Taiyo yuden, riteck ridata and verbatim are the preferred. Also get some rw's discs to play around with so you don't waste any media before you master dvd shrink and nero. burn slow and keep the size below 4300 mbs. later

3. PK44

PK44 Member

Roxio and EZ CD Creator make me cringe. If I had the time I would attempt to convert every Roxio user to Nero. Shrink has an option to automatically burn with Nero, get it.... you won't be disappointed.

4. jacnyr

jacnyr Member

Bye Bye Roxio! Thanks
    jacnyr

5. wild77

wild77 Guest

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

jacnyr,

Good to see ya made the switch. If you haven't bought Nero yet, give DVD Decrypter a try(it's free)

All you need is Decrypter and Shrink.

7. jacnyr

jacnyr Member

I just was able to reactivate my Platinum program. I have tried Shrink and got nothing but coasters. Now when I Decrypt the DVD it says that it is a Roxio CD Image.
    I guess that I will continue to use Platinum until I can no more, It SO EASY!
    Thank You all for your replies and help.
    I'll check back and maybe I can help others with Platinum issues.
    jacnyr

8. flip218

Which guides were you using?

Well check and help in the XCopy forum: http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com

9. huntert

huntert Guest

i think that dvd xcopy is simple to use but there is
    not as much flexibility.On the plus side xcopy uses
    less harddrive space but generally i have had to use
    more dvds to make back ups with xcopy. I think that it
    might be better to use xcopy with dual layer disks but
    dual layer discs are still too expensive. my favorite
    method for back ups is dvd shrink and dvd decrypter.

10. kchev

kchev Regular member

why would you need to?

11. flip218

Hmmm .... and how do you plan to accomplish that?

When you figure it out can you post how to burn a dual layer disc using XCopy here: http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com

They would all love to know, since XCopy doesn't support dual layer burning :)

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

In case you don't understand what Flip was saying - DVD XCopy was out of business 4 to 5 months and were finished teaking it 6 to 9 months before DL burners ever came out and another full month after that when the DL Media came out. So there's no way it was DL compatiable as you can't make anything compatiable that hasn't seen the light of day yet.

Where does that leave XCopy ? Way down on the food chain. DVD Shrink is many times better in quality when it comes to "Movie only" than XCopy could hope to be AND even for using some of the newer media, it may have trouble dealing with media made long after it's demise. Your 8X and higher media may not be supported as XCopy is set to burn at 4X. You might want to start checking out some other proggys, getting the "feel" of them before the day comes when you must learn overnight or perish.

There's time for that another day.

Now, Happy Thanksgiving

Pete