1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No medium detected - please help! HP DVD Writer 300n and DVD-R discs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Soup7373, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Soup7373

Soup7373 Member

Hello, everyone. I just bought a refurb HP a562n with an "HP DVD Writer 300n." I have been trying to use Pinnacle InstantCopy to try and burn a few decoded movies onto some Sony DVD-R discs. When I try and run the program it says "No medium inserted" and it appears that my computer isn't recognizing the discs (even when going to My Computer and seeing the disc shows up in the drive).

What is going on?! Is the drive not compatible with DVD-R discs? Do they need to be formatted? Do I need DVD+R discs? I used the program to copy a movie to a DVD+RW disc, but of course, that doesn't play in any of my DVD players. I tried looking up the properties of the drive to see with what it's compatible, but I'm somewhat at a loss. Please help!

Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much!

2. ShitBreak

ShitBreak Member

I have a HP300i. It Shows in Device Manager as HP300n. The only media I can use is +RW and +R. The minus doesnt work with my drive.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi soup7373, welcome to aD,

HP burners are notorous for being "Picky". Many times even though listed as dual-format burners they'll refuse to burn -r. My 200j would only do +R media and so I "lived" with it".

Check for updated firmware but I wouldn't hold out too much hope (Lol)

BTW, recommended speed for the 300N is only 2X so expect that it does take time. Other than complaints I couldn't locate too much info for you but as with a lot of HP stuff, that's the way it goes. As you see from my sig, I have experience with them :(

Cheers,

Pete

4. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

hp 300e/i/n are +r/rw only. They are rebadged NEC ND1100 drives (which have up-graded firmware available to enable dual format writing)
    To get dual format, flash firmware to nd1100a, then from that to nd1300a (You do this at your own risk)

http://etna.rpc1.org/nec/nec1100 to 1300.html for info

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

There are reports of MANY burners going "Belly up" from this "Hack" - again, use at your own risk -

Pete