1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no medium is working , pausing at end

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sunup, Feb 1, 2005.

1. sunup

sunup Regular member

I have tried all kinds of medium, The latest was Verbatim it is pausing at the end. Could it be my burner ( bus link? ) I am burning at 2. with a 2.4 disk. I am really frustrated help

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Can you reduce your target size on the verbatim discs?
    Most prefer anywhere from 4300 to 4360 mbs. Since your issue sounds like it is at the end of your dvd,reducing that size will help out if you have uneven dye on those blank discs.

Please add more info on what you are trying to backup,programs using,pc specs,burner brand and #, and anything else that may help get that problem solved. Later

3. sunup

sunup Regular member

Sorry if I did not give enough info. I will do my best with what I know. What is target size? were is it at? Yes, the issue is at the end of all of them. My system is xp pro, service pack 2 I am using shrink and decrypter.I am trying to back up gothika but it is happing on a lot of different movies.Burner is Bus Link 8x;internal Dvd + - r/rw. if I didnt answer all of your questions, Then I didnt understand them.

4. sunup

sunup Regular member

Will reducing the target size keep it away from the edge?

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello sunup, Reducing your target size should help.

I don't know what programs you are using,I use dvd shrink "free". It has an edit tab that lets me change the target size from dvd-5,dvd-9,and custom. I custom it to 4300,but just increased it to 4360 mbs the other day. This leaves the outer edge 1 mm or so unburned. This outer layer is where the discs will be handled also. I keep it there as a precaution.

You stated you use verbatim,usually very good discs,however some members have reported c-mags on some of their media. I like the verbatim +8x the best,coded mccoo3.I have also run into verb +4x,mcc002,+4x ricohjpn-01. This makes at least 4 different manufacturers for verbatim that I have heard of.Quality can vary between them.

6. sunup

sunup Regular member

Saugmon, OK now Im really confused. I to am using DVD shrink. The biger the target size number the the closer to the edge or just the opposit? Do I want a faster speed (8x) Is It better? How do I find out who made Verbatim? And what one do I use? Is DVD identifer A way to tell if each indiduel DVD is good or not? Sorry about the spelling. If I have to leave for work before I get an answer, Should I start a new thread or pick up from here? lots of Questions Ive been working on this for a long time I mean months

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey sunup,you want to stay away from the outer edge of the disc on your blank media.Here is how to change this in dvd shrink:

Open up dvd shrink
    click edit
    click preferences
    You will see a rectangular box that says dvd-5,dvd-9,and custom when you scroll around.This box is on the middle/left side of screen.
    Scroll to set on custom,then the box beside it-enter 4300 mbs.

Hit ok, it should then be set and hopefully you'll be burning near perfect copies clear through to the end of the disc.

Here is a free trial program,you can get the manufacturers code and also has a program to check for errors on your discs.

http://www.dvdinfopro.com

Good luck

8. sunup

sunup Regular member

Saugmon, Thank You so much I thought you forgot about me yesterday. I changed it and after work I will give it a try. Last night I switched to NERO. The front of a movie I burned was pausing ( just like decrypter did at the end ) but by the sound of it this should take care of it. DVDINFOPRO will that check each dvd before I use it? And what about dvd identifer? Is that the same?

9. sunup

sunup Regular member

Saugon, I did what you said. I closed out shrink and opened it back up and it reset itself. Do I need to set it every time ? Or can I apply it some how so it will stay the same(4300).

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

once you set it to custom,4300 mbs,and hit "OK"-it should stay set.I keep mine set at this point.

Now if you get the pausing at the beginning,keep the burn speed low,4x max. You may have to go lower.

If you are burning with nero: open up dvd shrink,edit,preferences,click on file I/o tab,and tick "enable burn with nero". You may still be burning with decrypter. If this box is ticked,then nero will automatically be used to burn after the encoding finished in dvd shrink.

In the "backup options" tab after dvd shrink quickly analyzes it,and you reauthor or not,you have your burn speed settings.Keep that under 4x.

11. sunup

sunup Regular member

thank You Saugon, I have burned 4 movies with no problem. Yes, I have been using Nero. Do I want to use 8x disks and burn at 4x. Or 4x at 4x?

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello sunup,that's great you got it down now.I have both 4x and 8x media,and usually burn at 4x,99% of the time. I like to "re-rip" from my backup copies so I stick with the safe 4x and high quality media.4x is par when it comes to dvd burning.Less chance for errors and better playability on stand alone dvd players.

When you get your process down,high quality burner,and high quality media- you should be able to burn faster.If backups are turning out great at 4300 mbs,then you can increase it up little by little.

When I try different "on sale" media at my local chain stores, I like to give them a vigorous workout by maxxing out the burn. I got 16x out of sony + 1-8x and 12x out of those verbatim +8x's.I still burn these at 4x just for precautions, I am a patient burner,and high on the quality of my backups.

Good Luck and happy burning.