1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No option to burn any higher than 4x despite 16x burner

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by bigsteve1, Jan 20, 2007.

1. bigsteve1

bigsteve1 Member

I have an external DVD burner. It's a Pioneer DVR111D (capable of up to 16x burning). It's in a Nexstar 2 exclosure using USB 2.0 cable.

I don't know whether it is the burner or enclosure or nero settings (I have nero 7), but when I try to burn a dvd I can only select 1x, 2x or 4x even when using 16x compatible sony and verbatim discs.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/162778 info here was not able to help me - but somebody there mentioned something about a nero "high compatibility mode".

Is there a mode that needs to be turned off in nero to achieve higher than 4x? And if so where is it as I can't find it in any of the settings?

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. bigsteve1

bigsteve1 Member

Thought I better add that I am using a 2.66 Ghz P4 with 512 RAM and am hardly running anything in background.

I could understand if higher than 4x was selectable and the actual burn speed was low, I just don't understand why I can't select a burn speed higher than 4x when my burner is capable of that.

3. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

Is there a blank disk in your burner when you're trying to select the speed? All the speed available won't be displayed unless a blank is in the burner. The burner's firmware needs to determine the exact specs of the disk to identify the correct write strategy and sppeds available for burning.

Burning at max speed isn't a really good idea anyway as it tends to increase the likelihood of a bad burn or even a burn failure. Many recommend burning at half or less the rated speed of the media to increase overall burn quality. You'll have to experiment to find the combination of speed and media type/manufacturer that yields the best burns for you.

Edit: text added below

I might also add that you may not actually achieve the speed selected. I have an older system that provides 4X burns even when a higher speed is selected like 16X. Nero might report the burn at 16X but when the burn takes 14 minutes, it's in actuality a 4X burn.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007