1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No play on DVD+R's from DRU-700A

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lordiccy, Sep 19, 2004.

1. lordiccy

lordiccy Member

Before anyone comments, I did use the search for my question, in fact I found this forum through Google and then did a complimentary search for what my issue is and I can't seem to come across any conclusive information. Here is the problem...

I recently purchased a Sony DRU-700A DVD Burner and it seems that none of the DVD's I burn will play anywhere. I have tried copying DVD's after decrypting them with DVD Decrypter. The different burning tools I have tried are ElbySoft CloneDVD2, Nero, Nero Vision Express, ULead DVD Movie Factory, DVDXCopy Platinum and CloneDVD from CloneDVD.Net. I am using Memorex DVD+R's which I have come to understand by browsing this forum, is not a highly rated medium.

There is one thing I don't understand though; I have tried about 7 different movies so far, each with a different method of ripping/encoding/burning, each video with a similar result. When I play the DVDs in my Toshiba SD-4800 stand alone player, the movies will play anywhere from just through the menus to about 15 minutes into the actual movie, then they freeze. I have a Sansui combo DVD/VHS player displays either a disc read error (movies that aren’t DVD copies) or will get to the copyright notices for the movies (from actual copied DVD's.) I have tried playing the movies in my PC and I get the same result as my Toshiba stand alone player.

I am almost certain the problem is not with the VOB or MPG files for the movies themselves, because after they are decrypted I can play them right on my computer with WMP9 or the ATI File Player. Is this all related to using Memorex media or is there something else going on?

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Well Memorex uses several companies to manufacture their media, and not all are top notch. One pack may yield a 100% success rate and another only 40%. Try this for some info on media...
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    But I'll tell you that the top two recomended media are RitekGO4(branded Ritek on the disc face) and Verbatim Datalife (branded) as far as this site is concerned.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  3. bettagl

bettagl Member

I too have had the same problems as you. I have the sony as well and started out with memorex media. It stinks, period!! The first thing to do is go with a different media and use -R format. More DVD players are compatible with this. Number 2, I also have the Toshiba model you have. They are very finicky with media. I have backed up movies that will pause and freeze on my toshiba but will play fine on my hitachi. I am currently having a problem of pausing after an hour into the movie. Very frustrating!! I just purchase TDK -R media and have burned two movies. One using DVD Xcopy Plat and one using CloneDVD2. Both have slight pauses in the movie after an hour into them. They don't freeze up completely however but are annoying. Per several posts on this forum I am going to try Verbatim Datalife next. If that does not do it, well back to the drawing board.

Hope this helps.

4. lordiccy

lordiccy Member

Thanks to both of you... I actually just ordered some Ritek -R media from supermediastore. One other thing to note is that I did manage to burn a DVD backup successfully by guaging the burn down to 1x in CloneDVD2. Apparently the faster burning on the CMC media causes the dye to melt.

5. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Actually 1X can be bad too. Burning too slow can cause localized burning "hot spots" or overheating the dye. For DVD burning the best speeds(in my opinion) are 2.4X and 4X.

[​IMG]

6. lordiccy

lordiccy Member

Yea I actually managed to get a DVD at 2.4x as well... but even at 4x the burns fail. Good pointer about 1x though!

7. bettagl

bettagl Member

I just made a successful backup of a DVD at 1X. As you said, if I go up to 4x it's not a perfect burn. Will stay with 1 or 2.4 unless at 1 causes the hot spots. Am still ordering verbatims though so I can experiment with them at the higher burn rates. I will post any helpful info.

8. bettagl

bettagl Member

Oh yeah, would you please post your results from the Riteks. Since we have the same equipment, it might help me as well.

Thanks

9. lordiccy

lordiccy Member

Yea I will definitely post my results with the Ritek's as soon as I receive them... looks like I wont get them until next tuesday because of UPS ground. Let us know how the Verbatim's go as well.

10. lordiccy

lordiccy Member

I should be getting my Ritek's tomorrow, have you had any luck with yours bettagl?

11. bettagl

bettagl Member

Sorry it has taken so long to reply. My schedule is very hectic and sometimes I don't get to get on the computer as much at home as I would like. I have not purchased any verbatims yet because I still have a few tdk's left.
    The tdk's are better but I have done a couple of movies with 1x and 2.4x and although they are much better than the memorex I still have a couple that pause slightly. They do not freeze up but just a slight pause which gets annoying. I plan to keep experimenting with the remainder of these then I will get the verbatims. I promise to post my results as soon as I get them. Looking forward to hearing about the Riteks. Good Luck

Regards,

Lenny

12. lordiccy

lordiccy Member

One interesting thing that I have discovered is that I finally got my Riteks... they are Ritek G05's to be specific, and when I burn with them, nero can't detect 8x. I upgraded the firmware on the drive since apparently it had to do with the old firmware and it still doesnt detect in Nero or in DVD Identifier. I have no clue what the problem is here... maybe someone even without a DRU-700A can help with this one...

13. vector4

vector4 Member

I have a DRU-700a also and I have problems with about 30% of my movies at almost exactly 45 minutes into the movie it will die. I originally thought it was bad rips from slight scratched media. But now I have found it to happen on perfect media.

I am burning at 8x on FUJU DVD-R's. I am going to try some 4x burns using the same rips to determine is its the rip that is bad or the media or the burner. Very frustrating as I am getting lots of good burns too.

14. bettagl

bettagl Member

what software are you using? I have DVD Xcopy platinum and cloneDVD with Anydvd to rip and I get the same aggravation from both programs. I just burned the starwars trilogy with tdk's at 2 and 4x. The first one turned out perfect, the second has a couple of aggravating pauses in it past the half-way point and the third is absolutely crap. It pauses all the way through the movie. I have thrown it away. I am going to the clonedvd website to get the updates and try my luck again.

15. lordiccy

lordiccy Member

What I have been using to make perfect rips lately is DVD Decrypter to rip the dvd's and ElbySoft's CloneDVD2 - http://www.elby.ch/products/clone_dvd/index.html to convert them and burn them. This combination has been working flawlessly since my original post about it.

16. bettagl

bettagl Member

I assume this is with your new Riteks? I am almost through the rest of my TDK's and will then experiment with the Verbatims.

Lenny

17. lordiccy

lordiccy Member

Yea thats with the new Riteks.

18. bettagl

bettagl Member

If you don't mind sharing, what is your workflow process with that combination and have you ever tried DVD+R discs? I was also thinking about giving those a try.

Lenny

19. lordiccy

lordiccy Member

First I have been using DVD decrypter in the beginning to copy the files from the DVD onto my computer. Then I was just running through the CloneDVD2 process to burn them to dvd. Not sure what you mean by workflow other than that. Those are the only two steps I have been using for this. With DVD+R's the only thing I have tried are the Memorex DVD+R's which have like a 2% success rate, so I gave up on using them for copying, just for data storage... which probably isnt even a good idea.

One thing I can mention is that I haven't been trying to put divx movies or anything like that onto DVD's because I have a slower processor and it ends up taking like 8 hours to convert a video to the proper format sadly. Maybe someone has a suggestion for software to use for that process.

20. bettagl

bettagl Member

Ok after all this time and experimenting I am finally producing perfect dvd's everytime. And what was the cure, after trying different brands of media, different burn speeds, upgrading firmware, etc. I went to DVD+R instead of DVD-R. I just bought a ten pack of verbatim DVD-R's and have not made a single bad one out of the ten. I thought that using the -R's gave you the best chance of getting a good burn since -R was the original format. Oh well, I guess all that matters is that I am not making coasters anymore. If anyone else is having issues, you might do the same. Verbatim DVD-R

Hope this helps,

Lenny