1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Signal

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by durkinjt, Dec 14, 2015.

1. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Strange one, my wifi signal shows 4 bars strength, when I look at network connections it show no connections available , and I cannot update Windows files due to an error message saying no network connection, wierd part is I can open all my programs that require a wifi signal. Any help appreciated. T.I.A.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You better add the following:
    whether desktop or laptop
    4 Bar strength where i.e system tray (bottom right side in windows) or somewhere else
    was wifi working before on the troublesome pc

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

also what browsers are being used?

4. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thanks for the reply, I am using a Lenovo K450 1T HDD 12 Ram, i7, Verizon Fios router, Win 8.1, shows the 4 bars wifi signal on the system tray, when you right click to see available networks, says none available.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I don't use wifi as it's far to flakey for my liking.The 4 bars you mention i assume aren't showing signal strength but instead are perhaps grayed out & will light up when signal strength appears.I'd start a scan to locate a list of available wifi networks.
    This assumes your pc can pick it up as walls & any metal including the pc itself can block the signal to the aerial pickup at the rear of the pc.If the scan can't pick anything up i'd move the modem closer or next to the pc for testing just to make sure,then move it farther away bit by bit.You'll also need to enable wifi in the modem if it's not been done already

6. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thanks, it was a problem with my COA, fixed. BTW, what do you use for another computer if not wifi?

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

A 4 port modem router for vdsl at other end of the house which connects to a 8 port POE network switch that sits beside my gaming consoles in the lounge along with a desktop.Basically a wired setup

8. ilikefree

ilikefree Member

Try right clicking on network icon, click network and sharing center, click view status, click diagnose
    it will most likely reset you wireless adaptor for you

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

What thread are you reading ? this one is sorted

10. ilikefree

ilikefree Member

Sorted for the op but may not be sorted for others that have the same problem