1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No solder modchip/Swap Magic 2.0 ???

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by Davedough, May 4, 2005.

1. Davedough

Davedough Regular member

I've been reading most of the posts in the forums and trying to find something related to my problem. I've seen a lot of suggestions and have tried following a lot of the guides on here. I've cleaned my laser lens and made sure everything is aligned fine. Here's my problem.

I have a V-9 PS2 with the no solder modchip installed. For those who aren't familiar with it, it simply is a small chip that negates the reset when you hit the eject button, eleviating the need for a slide tool or flip top. Very slick chip. Anyway. A friend of mine gave me his Swap Magic 2.0 DVD and CD boot disks since he had upgraded to the 3.0 version. As far as modchip goes, my friend and I have the same modchip, however he uses SMD 3.0 and has a V-7 PS2.

Now, backups that I have made, namely an import title of Naruto: Narutomette Hero 2 and God of War (following the guide from Sonix) run beautifully on my friend's V-7 PS2 but when I try to boot them up on my machine, I get a red boot screen from Swap Magic. The disk never even tries to load. I get the "insert disk" screen and when I put in the backup, I hear the disk spin up, I hit X and either immediately or in about 3 to 4 seconds, I get a red screen. By the way, I have used both Verbatim -R and Sony +R disks to test on a NEC DVD+\-R ND-6500A burner. (Got a lot of coasters).

Does the version of SMD matter depending on my version of PS2? Do I have to upgrade my SMD in order to play my backups on my PS2? Any suggestions?

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

3. Davedough

Davedough Regular member

Thanks, I'll give that a try. BTW. Is that a DVD iso or a CD iso? Basically, do I burn it to DVD or CD?

4. Davedough

Davedough Regular member

Nevermind, I'm an idiot.

5. loveya

loveya Guest

The world is not always fair. I thought you don't need SMD if you have a mod chip?

6. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

the no solder chip he has is not a real modchip.